1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do-over or correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This week, I made a typo in while writing the headline for a submitted piece (with a team picture, of course) about an undefeated middle school soccer team. The school's name was incorrect in the headline. For some reason, I just misread the name of the school. It was totally my mistake.
    Some readers have pointed out that this is the type of thing that is cut out for scrapbooks, refrigerators, mailed to relatives, etc. and for that reason the entire piece should be republished.
    Is that the right thing to do or is a simple correction OK?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Correction only.

Never republish, unless virtually every word in the story was wrong (which I've seen happen, actually.) That's them trying to push you around (which seems to happen a lot, actually.)

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, sorry for their scrapbooks, but it happens. Correction. As that Terrell Texas publisher said, but unfortunately when he was totally in the wrong, you're not in the keepsake business.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Those middle school kids will never get noticed by English Premier League clubs now.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Nicely played.

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

"I say, Sir Alex, where is this Madson Middle School? I can only find Madison on my GPS. Oh well, it's back to jolly old England with our millions of pounds that we could have given to some 11-year-old boy who worked and tried really hard."

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Correction. Don't set a precedent. It was a mistake, and they'll get over it eventually.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Correction. Anyone who isn't related to the team or isn't friends won't be wanting to read the same story in the paper again.

I have seen a story run on a second occasion, but that has been when the story was cut off inadvertently, or was supposed to jump and didn't.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Here's what we used to do at my paper with mistakes of this nature. Correction for the newspaper, but make corrected copies (printed on Velox paper -- or photo paper) available to interested parties. They get their scrapbook fodder, you get a correction in... everybody's happy.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Republish it, but change the names of the kids. That'll make 'em happy.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Add cute nicknames. Like Johnny "His mama's hot" Smith, Billy "Douchebag" Watson, Joe "Little Shit" Johnson, and Brad "Dad's an alcoholic meth-head" Stewart.
    You get to vent, and they get their names in the paper. It's a win-win.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I try to do the same as Killick if we have that situation. I'll run a correction and I'll typeset and photocopy a corrected piece for the families.

Draft saved Draft deleted