1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Newspapers Still Make Sense?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Reacher, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Reacher

Reacher Member

The Phillies won a big game vs. the Dodgers last night. It ended at about 12:30 a.m. When I opened my Philadelphia Daily News almost 12 hours later to read at lunch, all I got from the game was a full-page third-inning black-and-white photo of Chase Utley. The Inquirer had a feature on 34-year-old journeyman pinch-hitter Andy Tracy in the game story spot.

The question I have is: Do newspapers still make sense?

Consider also what had to happen to get that newspaper on my lawn. It had to be printed on expensive newsprint and delivered by gas-guzzling, Teamster-driven trucks at $3.50 a gallon to the convenience store.

How can late news that costs a fortune to produce compete with the immediate, electronic Internet? Isn't newsprint all but obsolete as a way to communicate information. And if so, how can newspapers still make sense, especially considering that the advertising that has always supported them is quickly disappearing?

I am not trying to be a troll. I just want to know if you think the newspaper model can still make sense, if you step back and look at it objectively. What do you think?

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Personally I think newspapers - all of them, should go back to PM papers.

This will change the idea of newspaper reporting to more features, analysis and breaking news from the morning cycles.

I still love sitting back and reading the paper later in the afternoon. I've never been a fan of the morning edition, and with the internet and TV joining the 24-hour news cycle, the morning paper has everything we already see on TV at night or on the internet at any time.

IMHO. a PM paper makes more sense in these times.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Let's say your city proposed a big property tax hike and also announced the date and site of a hearing in which the subject of the hike (vs. cutting services) would be debated.

Where would you likely get that information, if not the newspaper?

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Newspaper Web site.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder how long it will be before the biggest newspaper in town has fewer reporters than the biggest tv station.

6. Reacher

Reacher Member

I was working on volleyball previews and following the game online in real time.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Standout idea. News (and gamers) on the web, features and enterprise in the afternoon. Leader in the clubhouse for Best Idea To Save Newspapers when the SportsJournalists.com awards come around.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That's exactly what I was aiming for. I wasn't sure if I came across well enough, but I guess I did.

Thanks

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Exactly my thoughts. I definitely could see putting gamers on the Web site, and with the cost of paper, ink, delivery, etc., publishing a print edition, say, once a week to put it all into perspective.

This, of course, is speaking purely from a sports point of view.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Red, I am so with you there. Great thought, and it could be all that would save them in the long run.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark

12. agateguy

agateguy Member

There is not yet a "killer app" device, readily available to everyone for a cheap price, that allows you to surf the web online from anywhere you choose to go, nor is there the internet infrastructure for free, high-speed wireless Internet accessible to all, even the poor.

If that happens, newspapers will die or survive by migrating online.

Draft saved Draft deleted