1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do news jobs get as many applicants as sports jobs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 31, 2007.

1. That's like crazy.

2. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

Shitty town meaning nobody in their right mind would live in that area of the country?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have been in a position to make this comparison at six newspapers. In ever single case, the demand for the sports jobs was much higher. Maybe that's just the small sample size.

Last job interview I had was for a sports writing position. They got over 120 resumes for the opening. I was among the six that got interviews in person, but didn't get it (supposedly I was the 2nd choice, if the SE was to be believed). The SE suggested if I still wanted a job in that area, I should apply in news. They had three positions open at the time and were desperate to find anybody with any real qualifications to take one of them.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

depends on where you post the job opening. i got lousy response for a couple of gen assignments positions posting on the state press association web site. later job postings on jjobs.com brought 40-50 resumes each time and we're a very small community daily. and they weren't all fresh grads.

Draft saved Draft deleted