1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do more work for the same pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Whatever you say.

2. I've heard of staffers negotiating deals on vacation and comp time -- kind of similar to what a credit-card company negotiates with someone who's bankrupt. I also know of people who have cut deals on unused sick days.

Say you have 800 hours of vacation to be used. That's 20 weeks, let's just say. You tell them you'll take, say, eight weeks of vacation and get paid upfront for eight more. That means you'd be available to work 12 weeks when they wouldn't expect you at all. You get 16 weeks of the 20 weeks of vacation, in effect, but you benefit because you get cash for eight of those weeks upfront. Then you can actually go on a vacation during your vacation -- and not just spend your time killing time just to kill it. They get four weeks back, so they're not losing, either.

I know: You're saying, "My place would never go for that." You'd be surprised. This company sounds as if it's trying to rectify something gone wrong in the past -- among many employees, not just one person. It's worth a try. If they don't go for it, you take 20 weeks off and let them worry about how the product suffers.

3. jshecket

jshecket Member

I work at a Gannett paper too and I am hoping to get out too.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

At the CBC, where I work, vacation days are monitored very closely. If you don't take them, it's money the company has to pay out if you leave. So, I'm usually asked once or twice a year, "When are you going on vacation?"

By the way, my personal record for consecutive days worked was 121 -- as a radio station volunteer.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

At a previous spot, there were no real limits on accumulating vacation pay ... until someone left and got paid five-figures in accrued time. The cap started the next pay period.

6. Meatwad

Meatwad New Member

Did someone say Gannett?

From a Gannett HR form:

Steps to complete the form:
    Step 1: complete the form.

Shoot me in the face now.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

it is only in North America where that kind of work schedule is told with pride.
    I'm sorry, but to work that many days consecutively - unless you are compensated in the millions - is just fucking stupid.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's tough to put a price on doing a job you love/enjoy/have a passion for.

Which, of course, goes to why the wages are nearly universally so . . .questionable. .. . .

9. Jor El

Jor El Guest

I love all the one-upping that's going on in this thread. I worked 4,503 days straight -- that's 24-hour shifts, mind you -- without taking a piss break or eating.

In all seriousness, sports writing should only require 40 hours per week. It's not that important to the overall industry.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Before the Internet boom, this is what I had to do on a typical gameday.

Notebook filed at halftime.
    Running filed at the buzzer.
    Write-through filed about an hour later...

Now, I have to file a notebook before the game, which is immediately posted on the net. I have to blog throughout the game, file a story at halftime, and update the notebook. I have to have a full story done at the buzzer and then update it for print with usually an Internet update later with additional quotes...

Does it suck? Yes, but who cares? That's the nature of this business now. It doesn't do any good to bitch about it...

11. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Mizzou, the alternative to not bitching about it to passively allow the tail to keep wagging the dog.

You cannot effect change without rational debate -- and protest -- in the name of common sense.

It's appalling that newspapers -- the voice of the oppressed, the standard-bearer for holding those in power and privilege accountable -- are guilty of blandly looking the other way when the subject is themselves, then wondering why they're losing money and readers...........

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

We quit paying overtime, or at least it's a pain to try and get overtime approved, so I quit going into work 30 minutes early and I quit slaving over my work past 8 hours/shift. We got more work piled on us a few months ago, they don't wanna pay overtime and froze raises, so I refuse to work more than my normal shift time. I realize laws don't require breaks and raises and OT and all that, but desk work doesn't lend itself to even a 20 minute break, so I don't lend myself to my job past my regular shift.

Draft saved Draft deleted