1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do more work for the same pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Come work for me, son. We rarely, if ever, ask our employees to do more work for the same pay. ;)

Sure. Tell them if they won't, there are 50 unemployed journalists out on the street who'd do it for less, and soon enough, they will. ;D

There's a real art to this sort of thing.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I once worked 87 straight days for the Jelloneck, and about 200 out of 205.

3. Sounds scary.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Bob, why don't you offer something else than that bullshit you just did? We don't need crappy jokes. We would prefer something better, thankyewverymuchelvis.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The sad part is it's not bullshit.

6. Yeah, you haven't been around long. Bob Jelenic or "Jelloneck" is the head of JRC, and is one of the most reviled men in the newspaper business. We make fun of/criticize him frequently here. Check the jobs board for the Trentonian.

7. Well is this really him or someone who just likes to act like the second-coming of William Randolph Hearst?

8. Jelenic is the second-coming of Hearst, only without the successful papers. But no, Bob "Jelloneck" is not Jelenic. ::)

But I have a pretty good idea who it is.

9. Wow, thanks for this thread, guys. I may not be making much at my current gig and it isn't all that glamorous, but I suddenly appreciate the flexible schedule and the time with my family that much more.

120 straight days. Fuck. My boss is lucky if I work three straight days.

10. Perhaps it's one of your mysterious aliases ...

11. Milo Bloom

Milo Bloom New Member

Jelenic. Nothing new here, but screw that bastard.

I worked for four years for that failure they call company, and on the last year, gave up my social life for what I thought was a step up the ladder as an SEs at one of his rags.

Things were OK for four months until the sunday/monday SE quit when his wife had a baby, and the next thing I know my EIC's telling me I have to work every day until they could get somebody to give me a break. So I worked 14 days straight, seven pages a night (and they would still bust my balls when I was over deadline by a second), with two writers who wouldn't touch a design program until their paychecks fattened some (don't blame them), subtly complained to whoever would listen when I got the chance.

No one listened, nothing changed and, not surprisingly, I gave my two weeks a month later in favor for a kick-ass writing/columnist gig downstate. By then, he had his JRC cronies calling me from all over to offer me higher-paid SE gigs or promises of similar positions at one of their "biggies." Sorry, but 14 weeks straight, no overtime, no nuthin, was the last straw with that company. They could have backed a dump truck full of money up to my apartment and I wouldn't have folded.

At my current job--now in its 3rd year--if I work a second over 40 hours, my SE literally kicks me out of the building.

12. You're not very bright, are you? I've never worked for JRC.

Draft saved Draft deleted