1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do more work for the same pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 10, 2007.

1. That just makes the rest of us look stupid, and have to deal with the phone calls. It's not worth it. Plus, I wouldn't be doing my job if I let that happen, and I take too much pride in it. It's just that I'd expect that kind of terrible writing from a stringer, not a guy with a Division I beat. (And no, this isn't jealousy; I'm a desker, and I like it that way).

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Kick him in the nuts, and when he's bunched in a ball on the floor, throw his story in his face and say "write better, bitch."

3. Riddick, after reading the last couple of threads you started I think it's safe to say that you really need to start looking for a new job. Everything you've mentioned sounds a lot like a Gannett paper I once worked for ... get out and find a new place before it drives you out of the business.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

At my shop, we have full-time photogs who ONLY shoot. We have reporters on the news/city side. And we have sports reporters.

All the sports reporters shoot and write about EVERY EVENT THEY ATTEND. News people ALWAYS get a photog to accompany them. We all make the same wage. Makes no sense.

5. That doesn't make any sense. The only places I've heard of where reporters have to shoot their own events are the ones without full-time photogs. What fucking purpose do they serve, if they don't shoot sports?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

a buddy of mine had a similar situation when he took over as SE of a small shop. But after three days of the it, he put an end to that shit and become loved by his staff and hated by the photogs.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I think this is the reason it is the way it is. I think management doesn't want to be hated by the photogs, and they make new sports guys do both gigs, citing "that's just the way it is."

EDIT: We're talking a six-day-a-week paper with a 20K circ in a university city with a population of 150,000 by the way.

8. My first daily job was at a 16K. We still didn't have to shoot our stuff. Hell, when I was SE at a weekly chain, we still didn't have to shoot our own stuff. Damn, that sucks. Sorry.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That made me laugh.

It's funny too. There have been times (very, very few) when a photog has been with me. And my stories have been so much better.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

117 boys, dig it.

12. Well, shit. When I was SE for my first paper I worked everyday for almost two years. But I take it you're just referring to days spent in the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted