1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do more work for the same pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I had a boss once who after a string of cutbacks, he was so pissed I overheard him say, "If I knew it was going to be this bad, I would have fired myself."
    Well, now that I'm a boss, I find that my bosses keep telling me to make my guys do more work, but for the same pay.
    As a management guy, I don't mind doing more work cause i think they're probably overpaying me, but was curious on the feedback from some of the writers who, IMO are being forced to do a shitload more work with the only reward being a yearly raise that they might not even get.
    And, is there an easy way to approach someone and keep asking them to do more with zero reward in sight.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Promise them strippers. Whoever does the most work each month gets free lap dances. Pay for it in fake mileage.

3. We're really short-staffed now, so one of our guys (granted, he doesn't really have much of a life) basically works everyday, including coming in on his off days. Of course, that's nothing compared to what the former SE had to go through. At one point, since he was the only one on staff who could design, he worked 42 consecutive days.

His reward? They hired someone from the outside to be the new SE. Amazingly, he didn't quit. Three weeks later, the new SE was fired and he finally was named the SE. It all worked out, as he's now at a 200K-plus paper. I certainly wouldn't have stuck around if I were treated that way.

But being overworked is the nature of the beast in this business. We have a six-person staff (we should, and have been eight; but I digress) and we all do more than our fair share. Except for this one lazy fucker who maybe works 30-35 hours per week. On days the SE isn't around, this guy comes in late, takes 90-minute lunches, and leaves at least an hour early. One day, he was supposed to cover the volleyball media day at the local D-I university and write a preview story. He finally comes into work, sits at his computer for an hour or so before getting up to leave. I asked him where his story was, and he said he didn't write one. He never did, and didn't even cover the volleyball team once all year. So he basically got a paid day off. He's also a piss-poor writer with little knowledge of proper grammar and AP style; I usually have to spend at least 15 minutes to make his stories passable. And since we're so short-staffed, he won't be fired and he knows it. So he basically does next to nothing. Good times. ::)

4. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

At this one shop, after I was moved from being a sports writer to the news desk, the night editor quit. That was the person who ran the desk and taught me a few tricks of the trade. Now with a night editor that was slower in getting the paper out and me learning the desk, it was just freaking wonderful. I had not done any page design before that.
    Since then, as I understand it, the paper has cut one copy desk position. That was great considering I remember one budget meeting where two of the publishers' sons (a family shop) talked about getting drunk at a chamber of commerce retreat.
    Thankfully, everybody moved on that was on the desk.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I like that type of thinking.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

It's honestly brilliant.

And when I clicked, I thought this thread was specifically going to be about beat writer blogs.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Hmmm. Strippers. The only problem with that is I've been to the strip clubs here, and promising them strippers would only make them hate me more.

8. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

How far is your nearest "big" city?

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

about an hour or so.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

84 of 90. That's my record. Haven't beat it since, don't want to.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

120 in a row. I shit you not.

12. don't do anything to his stories. leave 'em the way he turns them in

he'll start spending more time on them pretty quickly

Draft saved Draft deleted