1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do kids scream more now?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, May 21, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My home overlooks a park and a children's playground is about 200 yards away from my home office desk, where I've sat to work off-and-on for a dozen years. Recently, though, during the day it's gotten to sound like a Chuck E. Cheese greatest hits album: kids screaming at the top of their lungs. I mean, there's not a day goes by that I don't look up to make sure some child is not laying in a crumbled heap at the bottom of the slide, holding a compound fracture (in 12 years, I've called the ambulance but once). Sure, children have always yelled the occasional "mommy, mommy, mommy" in order to show off some fancy flip on the jungle gym. But nowadays it's just non-stop guttural wailing, and it looks from afar as for no reason, punctuated every now and again by the bloody-murder screams.

Am I just becoming a grumpy old man? Is this an indication of the increase in autism in the past decade? Or is something else going on?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Have the demographics around the park changed?
    If there are more young families in the neighborhood, there could be more children and younger children using the park regularly.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've noticed it and so has my mom, a retired elementary school teacher, who spent many a day supervising recess, field days, class trips, etc.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kids scream a lot everywhere now. Check out Walmart.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's either soccer or steriods. Take your pick.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's from the influx of shitty parenting that we've seen in the last decade ore so. You see a lot of parents who are incapable of, or unwilling to, tell their kids to keep quiet.

I was in the grocery store a couple weeks ago and a kid who was old enough to know better, screamed at the top of his lungs. I dropped the can I was holding and people actually sprinted over to the kid to see if everything was OK. His mom just kind of laughed nervously and walked off... To be fair, I understand not disciplining your kids in public places, but I seriously doubt this mother said anything to her kid.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She probably let him suck on her boob in the car.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

The older I get, the more everything on this planet irritates me. I'm embracing becoming a grumpy old man.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think they should be quiet and stay glued to a television or IPad screen.

Fucking kids using their outside voices....er...uh...outside.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

If mothers breastfed their children longer into childhood, we wouldn't hear them scream as much.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, it is a playground. Brian touched on it, but they are playing outside. Let them yell.

Draft saved Draft deleted