1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do kids play certain sports because we cover them more?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 1, 2009.

1. NCWCsports

NCWCsports New Member

Football, basketball and baseball sells newspapers.

Swimming, wrestling, track, golf, volleyball, cross country and tennis do not.

Simple as that.

And this is coming from a wrestler and golfer from high school who was rarely covered and did not care.

They want coverage, they can call in their scores and we'll get it in the paper.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If we're talking preps here, I've never seen any evidence that you can even include baseball in that.

3. NCWCsports

NCWCsports New Member

Well...in rural BFE nowhere...baseball is a big ticket for most of the folks. But I'm sure it's a little different in most areas.

4. Big Circus

Fair point. Also, thinking about it more, it's popular with the older set. And that is who reads newspapers these days.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

By virtue of having the summer to themselves, Legion baseball is the bread and butter of podunk dailies all over the Midwest.

Regional mileage might vary.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sure enough, today I had two messages from swimming parents saying this year's coverage is the worst they've ever seen.
    Frankly I fail to see the problem. The team's results are getting in the paper every week, so what could the problem possibly be?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You haven't seen high school baseball in my area. It runs a close second to football around here in terms of interest and popularity. Season starts one week from today and outside of football recruiting, that's all anyone talks about.

8. Big Circus

Oh, I believe it. There's no accounting for whatever people are into in random places. Look at wrestling in Iowa and Pennsylvania for another example.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

SmallPotatoes..you mention about swimming coverage. our city is getting a youth team this summer and i keep hearing horror stories about the parents of this sport and the demands they make.
    True or false?

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

True, very true.

Draft saved Draft deleted