1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do kids need immediate access to cell phones during school hours?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Back in my day, all the cool kids had pagers. (Class of 1999)

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Did not know that.

However...laws can be changed...look at China for example (from wiki)

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I was just trying to point out it goes way behind grade school. I had to go back to campus to pick up a transcript a couple of months ago. I went by to see my undergrad adviser while I was waiting. He was a notorious cell phone hater. I jokingly asked him if he'd broken down and bought a cell phone yet. He hadn't, but he took the opportunity to rant on how much of a problem he had with girls texting while in class.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Schools have been in existence for hundreds of years without cell phones.

Put a box in front of the room. Every kid puts their phone in there for class. If a kid is caught using a phone in class, they fail the class for the year, and can explain to their parents why they were stupid enough to use the phone when its against the rules.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Someone I know who did that, the 1st time he tried the 1 kid who kept her's called all the other numbers 1 by 1, and drove him nuts.

My favorite teacher response was the guy who on the 1st day knew one of his students ahead of time & right before class gave him an old, broken phone & told him to take it out & play with it about 20 minutes into class. When he did the teacher went on a rampage which culminated in him firing the phone into the wall & smashing it to pieces. Message delivered.

6. Baron Scicluna

I like that message, and the kid who kept calling all the numbers would be getting an F.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If you can figure out who it is - not always easy.

8. Baron Scicluna

You then announce that you're holding all cell phones permanently until the kid who is dialing the numbers coughs it up.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'm annoyed by cell phone use as much as anyone else, but c'mon...this would have a teacher in the middle of a huge shit storm.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Using a cell phone during class is like listening to an MP3 player or playing video games in class. It should not be allowed. If a student is found using the phone during class time, it is held by the teacher and a parent needs to come in and pick it up.

Have this stated in a form that would be signed to start the school year. If a parent says they want their student to use the phone during instructional time, have that be a form they sign as well. That way when a student does poorly in school, the school can pull out the "use the phone" document.

One thing you have to be careful of is losing the student's property when you do things like this.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

My wife teaches. Her school has a policy that if they even see the cell phone during class it is taken away. The parent must retrieve it. She also makes the students keep their hands on the desk so they can't hide a phone in their pocket and text during class.

12. Baron Scicluna

Of course it would.

And the administration would probably back down.

But ultimately, it's the teacher who has to control the class, not the class control the teacher.

My wife has done some sub teaching. She tells each class that if they can't settle down to start the class, she'll keep each of them after the bell rings to end the class.

She's told me that it's almost funny sometimes. Some kid will act up, she'll tell them the entire class is staying, and the kids themselves will tell the acting-up kid to cut it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted