1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do-it-all sports person -- Cumming, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nietsroob17, Nov 4, 2006.

1. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

Sounds just like my job right now. It ain't so bad being the only sports person. It is a ton of work, but I have total control of what gets in.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sounds as though you wouldn't know if you were cumming or going.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

reminds me a of an old joke....

why are people in gainesville (ga.) so happy?

they're close to cumming

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, i heard it before i'd ever been to gainesville....

gainesville sucks

5. This is a tough job to do for 20k. In the ATL 'burbs? No Bankhead for who ever lands this. But, if the youngster thinks this out right, he/she can cover all the Cummings preps they want, but also find reason to sneek to Atlanta for the occasional pro/ GA-Tech feature or even gamer.
    And I'm 4ever in agreement with Doc X, I'm sick of every paper here (even a 1,500 circ. in mudtown usa) claiming to be award winning. There should be a rule here. Papers are misleading people. So, unless it's apse, a state or regional journalism award, it shouldn't count. Papers should have to list which award. I was awarded a partipation trophy for middle school basketball. I played in 9 games and scored like 10 total points. Does that make me an award-winning basketball player?

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Actually, you could definitely afford to live in Bankhead, which is ghetto fabulous. Buckhead, on the other hand, no chance.

7. MrTVAMFM

MrTVAMFM New Member

Let me jump in here a second with a few observations.

I worked at the Forsyth County News from 2002-2004. It is a 4-day-a-week newspaper. I've never heard of a 4-a-week in the free world. There is a BJ's Wholesale Club in Cumming. I got tired of telling that joke to friends after a week. I won a state award for best lifestyle section in our size classification while I was there and you better believe that was on my resume. The ad people had nothing to do with it ... especially considering they barely sold ads while I was there.

At any rate ...

The sports guy in Cumming is good (Travis Chaffin) and deserves a better job (someone help him out of there, please). Swartz-Morris Media was not so hot on benefits while I was there (abysmal health insurance). My sister worked at another S-M newspaper and passed on the insurance (used her husband's better insurance).

Forsyth County is lily white. Its minority population was less than a decimal point while I was there. Oprah Winfrey did a program from Cumming a decade ago ostensibly to revisit its lynching practices of the past. There is a Tyson Foods plant downtown ... hard by the fairgrounds ... also downtown. Do the math. I had to live at an apartment complex 15 minutes from work because the closest apartments to the office had a lovely proximity to said Tyson plant.

I would suggest this wouldn't even be a good starter job. There are some good people in that building, a recycled hardware store next to a cemetery. That's almost appropriate. And that's all for me from Gastonia (not much difference, actually).

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

heh-heh, he worked in an S-M reference on a thread about Cumming ... heh-heh ....

Another demographics note : In the late 80s (which may or may not be relevant now) there was a huge KKK parade in Cumming, which at that time was pretty much rural. It's a suburb now, and a goodly portion of its population jumps on Ga 400 and drives to Atlanta to work every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted