1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I want this teeny weeny iPod?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 4, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My trusty iPod has finally died, I just want a Shuffle for working out.

Does anyone have this little one?

[​IMG]

I was completely prepared to get one of these

[​IMG]

but now I don't know what to do. Suggestions?

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

No, you don't.

One of the reasons the new shuffle is so small is because there's no volume control on the device itself. Instead, it's built into the headphone cord. Thus, if the headphones break, get lost, etc., you have to buy more expensive replacements. The old-school shuffle is supposedly just as good, and has regular earbuds.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Huh. Good point. So I would have to use those headphones...I hate those little earbuds, especially for working out. But you can use any headphones with the other shuffle?

I like the colors on the old one, too.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

My wife has the old-school shuffle and loves it. I like how it just clips to your shirt, shorts, whatever.

I use my iPhone when I work out and I often wish I had her shuffle.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Don't even think about the new model. Get this one:

[​IMG]

Still extremely small, sounds great for its size and is compatible with non-Apple headphones. Plus, it has volume control and good battery life.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Agreed. The new one is going to more trouble than it's worth. I don't need it telling me what song is playing. I love my shuffle (the one Trey posted). The clip is great as I use it daily for snowboarding.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have a Dell mp3 player I never use... you're welcome to it.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You use it daily for snowboarding, in August?
    Do you live Bhutan?

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

FYI, not recommending the new shuffle but you can buy a headphone extender that has the volume control, etc. on it and an open jack at the end so you can use your own headphones. I don't think it comes with the shuffle by default though.

Heck, if all you want is something like a shuffle, go buy whatever $20 thing they sell at Wal-Mart. It'll play your songs on shuffle just as well.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Well, that's the main time I use it - October to June and a lil later when I go to Oregon. I have my 30 gig video for the car.

11. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

You can buy a refurb'ed nano from the Apple Store for $99

Bought one two months ago. Looked new out of the box (The box isnt a new Apple iPod type box). Performed flawlessly and like a $149 or $199 model

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_nano?mco=MzAyNDk2MA

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Sansa Fuze is the way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted