1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I stand up to the ME and say "Sorry ..."?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Apr 25, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Nope. College football/basketball beat writer.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so do you really think you'll break even?

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

John: you could have stayed at your last gig and written features about lawn mower racing. can't believe the sports ed had you do that. what a dumbass he was.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you already have the lawn mower beat nailed, don't you?

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

one good thing about the lawn mower racing is that the (free) beer flows freely after the races.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Sure was. Shitty golfer, too, from what I hear.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let us not forget the piss-poor poker playing...

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Ass ... :)

I talked with the SE, and he told me if there was any way I could get it done, to try. I figured that after dinner time, the night was dead save for watching the Royals on TV. Took about 45 minutes, and I sent the story from home. Still kind of pissed, but I have to admit that I liked how the story came out.

I pussed out ...

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, that ought to shut them up.

Until next week. ....

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Besides the fact that is anatomically impossible, that shit could get you fired for insubordination.

And this coming from an empathetic ME who realizes that education is the top priority of his platoon of student writers.

In all seriousness, I would do everything in my power to prevent you from being in the position you're in kingcreole. My take on it is: I'm the boss, I should be the one working the long hours rather than sticking it to my subordinates.

And, to answer the question, I'd communicate with the ME and say, "look, I can't do it" early enough in the process when you realize you're going to have a problem and a paper can make other plans.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, I have never had a supervisor with that attitude. You must be young.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm 34.

Draft saved Draft deleted