1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I really move that slowly?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 9, 2006.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And when you're done at the ATM ... STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE!

Do not keep others waiting while you reorganize your wallet and/or purse.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Only problem with that line of thinking is I don't want people to see how much money I just pulled out of the machine to buy a dime b-- ... oops ... make that a gallon of milk.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Was recently in line behind a gal who would check the total after each item was rung through. When it started getting closer to what I assume was her limit, she would stare at the items in her cart, like she was trying to figure out which ones she could still manage to get. This went on for about five minutes, I shit you not. Then, when the total came up, she reached into her purse and pulled out an envelope with cash in it. There wasn't enough money in the envelope, so she pulled out her wallet and started counting change.
    I don't know about anyone else but I try to keep count of my total -- if I have a limit -- while I'm putting items in the cart, long before I get to the cash register.
    She's lucky I don't have anywhere to be these days.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

This place doesn't scan bar codes.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Flash, that definitely crosses the line from the original scenario. This woman needs to be beaten with a meat log.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No kidding! When you're inside a bank, too.

I next in line at a bank after some moron who was apparently trying to cash a check at the wrong place. He didn't have an account and was told no dice. Instead of leaving, he whipped out his cell phone at the counter and started complaining to the person who'd written the check. (I didn't understand, either.)

I just walked up to the counter and pretty much crowded him out of the way.

I can exercise patience for many things, but not stupidity.

Come prepared, be ready for the transaction, be courteous of those around you, be efficient and then be gone. How hard is that?

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

...and then she starts picking out items to not buy and take off of the bill, and this process takes forever because she can't do the math in her head so she thinks that not getting the 89 cent can of chili is going to take 10 bucks off her total.

Yeah, been there.

8. As for No. 2, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Often times when I go to the grocery store, I'm picking up four or five things and I'm paying with a debit card nine times out of 10. It irritates the hell out of me when the person in front of me stands in front of the card reader machine thing, my items are finished being scanned and I have to wait for Mr. or Mrs. Fucktard in front of me to read their receipt to see that they saved .10 on their can of Spam and only need to spend another $300 to get a free turkey for Thanksgiving 2023. Read your effing receipt at home or in the car!!!

I know I might be in the minority on this one, but I get very agitated (sp?) by people who count out the 87 cents of their total by digging at the bottom of their purse and/or wallet. I have a jar in my room in which at the end of each day I dump the change which is in my pocket into that jar. Usually in the course of about 2 months, I have about $40 in change in the jar, I cash it out at a Coinstar and have my "fun" money for the bar, a poker game or whatever it may be for the weekend.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh my God. You were the guy standing in front of me. Weren't you?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The reverse of this situation is what I usually encounter and that is the big-hair chain-smoking white trash mom with three shitty kids whining for candy while she's trying to figure out which fucking lottery tickets she wants to buy then proceeds to stand at the counter and scratch the fuckers off while I have to make a thiry-minute detour around her fat ass to get to the cashier to pay for my soda.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't think I was moving that slowly. Not particularly quickly, either, but not tying up the line buying scratch tickets.
    I guess it's all a matter of perception. Sometimes you're driving at what you think is a reasonable speed, at or 5-15 mph above the speed limit, and you get tailgated or passed like you're standing still.
    My point was, this guy was not in the military or the NFL or the kind of job that (as far as I know) where the boss is so anal about being on time where he could have gotten written up or fired for being just a few seconds late.
    But I don't know enough about the landscaping business to know about that.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

;D

Draft saved Draft deleted