1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I rat on this guy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I work with a guy who's complete dead-weight around the office. He's the kind of person who thinks his shit doesn't stink and everyone else is beneath him. He acts like a supervisor even though he's not, assigning different people to do the stuff he doesn't want to do, and the boss we've had for years is either afraid of him or just doesn't want the headache of dealing with the problems he causes.

I've become aware of an unsavoury issue that's going to arise in the office, something he plans to instigate and use to his benefit. I'm sure he'll get his way if the situation is allowed to play out the way he wants it to. I don't want that to happen, especially since I know my own job will become that much more difficult if it does happen. I'm sorry to be so vague but I can't really get into the details.

But I'm pretty sure I can derail the plan if I spill the beans ASAP to the right person (not the aforementioned boss). I'm not too worried about what the guy could do to my career since, as I've said, he's really nothing more than another person in the office.

Any thoughts?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Do it and don't look back.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Here's the question, as I read it: You're asking whether or not you should stop a slack-ass grunt from doing something that would make your job harder and only serve to benefit this loser?

I'm sorry, but I'm missing the part where this becomes a question.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Shoot that sucker down.

Um, uh ... It's notme, is it?

Oh, that's right, I don't work in Canada (and try not to in the U.S.)

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

If it doesn't affect your job in any way, or perhaps the way you're perceived in the newsroom (if that part matters to you) ... then ... do what you gotta do.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

When you put it that way it becomes very clear. Thanks.

I seriously appreciate the advice, gang. I got hung up on the whole issue of being a "rat." The fact is, I think I'm beyond the point of caring whether or not I'm seen that way. I'm just tired of this fucker floating through life on a magic carpet while the rest of us are scrambling to do our jobs.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Be sure to let us know how this turns out. You've piqued my curiousity.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Do we work together?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not anywhere in Quebec, if that's what you're wondering. :)

10. KP

KP Active Member

How about Colorado? ;)

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hang 'em by his nut sack!

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do it!

And for God's sakes, it's spelled "unsavory!"

You're one of us dirty Yanks now!

:D