1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I have any recourse with the airlines?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Are you sure you can even use a voucher for an international flight?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If I used it in time, yes, I could have. It was good for anywhere they fly.

Instead, I'm screwed. It's not transferable, so I can't sell it. They won't discount my flight on Feb. 15 (I tried to get them to give me $150 for it). They basically just told me it has to be used by Feb. 11, no ifs, ands or buts.

Hell, I can't even send them a note because I can't find a link on their web site for customer feedback and since they don't have service out of my local airport, I'd have to drive four hours roundtrip to stop at their desk and get a card.

Looks like I'm going to do the Vegas for a day bit. It's either that, or find a beach somewhere for a day.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's what I was thinking.

Never hurts to ask if you can extend it a week or try to get some value out of it, but you're not getting screwed, fucked, boned, bent over the table, dicked, fornicated, bootsed, stoobed, etc. Those are the rules, and I assume they're are on the voucher.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Amen. A year means a year.
    Sorry, but you're not being ripped off here.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Delta's frequent flyer program pissed me off recently. Was going to fly to the west coast to visit Mrs. EStreetJukes' sister. Figured I could use my frequent flyer miles (most of which were racked up on my sky miles credit card) to pay for one of the tickets, since I had enough miles to qualify for a free trip.
    Turns out, for a trip from the east coast to the west coast, to get that free ticket, you have to agree to change planes 3-4 times each way. Instead of taking a direct flight, or one with only one layover.
    We wound up flying Southwest instead, getting a great price for the tickets and having our flights be less than half full so the two of us could spread our stuff out and take up three seats with no problem.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I have a voucher for Spirit Airlines that I gained by changing the departing city for a vacation a year ago. They gave me the $90 differential, but they no longer fly around here, so I'm stuck with it.

A sister is making a trip on their airline in a few weeks and I wanted to use the voucher for her. Nope, can't. Why not? Because I can only use the voucher if I fly myself or if I buy the flight. OK, I'll buy the flight for her. No, I can't do that, because I'm not flying.

Went back and forth. You just told me I could. Nope, I never said that. No luck.

Vouchers are worthless. Screw them all.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

Yes, and say hello to the TSA and FBI for me.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Hmm, that's interesting. st**bed turns into stoobed.

9. bigpern23

I never said I was getting screwed, fucked, etc., by the airline. I said I am screwed, as in, there's a good chance I won't be able to afford to fly to the wedding of my friend who I've known since I was six because the ceremony is a few days too late.

I do think it's bad business on the airline's part to lose a customer over a matter of four days. Having worked in the restaurant business for a long time growing up (and still occasionally on the side), I know that it's better to give an unhappy customer a free meal or a discounted meal and hope they come back than say we can't help you but good luck dining at other restaurants.

10. Zsaji

Zsaji New Member

Many airlines will let you fly later as long as you redeem the voucher by the deadline. Now, given that you live 2 hours from the airport, this might be an issue since you might have to redeem it in person. Once you've used the voucher and the ticket is paid for, it shouldn't be an issue to fly later. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Also, some airlines may let you transfer a voucher to a family member, provided that they have the same last name. They may charge you a fee, probably around $50.

Whatever you do, don't piss off the CSA. Corporate policy isn't their fault. You really don't want them noting that you "behaved suspiciously."

11. bigpern23

Haha. Good point.

Anyone ever use Priceline to get a flight? Do they send you at godawful hours? I don't mind departing at the asscrack of dawn, but I'd prefer to leave a little later. Any control over that?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

True, but you're looking for "recourse" presumably because you were wronged.

Draft saved Draft deleted