1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do I have any recourse with the airlines?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Last year, I went on vacation and coming back, the airline asked if any passengers would be willing to get bumped in exchange for a voucher for a free flight. I still had a couple days to kill, so I agreed.

Now, a year later, my buddy is getting married in Guatemala (he's a teacher there) and it seemed like the perfect time to use my voucher (I would have actually used it earlier, except they stopped service at my home airport and I'll now have to drive two hours to the nearest one they fly out of).

Unfortunately, the voucher is good for exactly one year, which just so happens to end four days before the date I planned to fly. I argued with a "supervisor" for a half hour yesterday saying I did them a favor by getting bumped, why won't they do me a favor and extend the voucher a week?

Anyway, I got nowhere. At this point, I'm planning to just keep calling and hope I find a supervisor who is sympathetic and hooks me up. But if not, do I have any recourse? Anyone know how I can get these fuckers to help me out? I mean, it's four goddamn days!

If they don't end up helping me out, I may just fly to Vegas for a day, just to use the damn thing.

"I've got a nice little Saturday lined up. Going to head the craps table at the Venetian and then play some poker at Binions. I might head to Bellagio, I don't know. I don't know if I'll have time!"

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sounds like the only recourse is to fly to Vegas for a day.

Ohhh, I know. Instead of Vegas for a day, fly to the Rockies and snowboard for a day or two.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you've got any recourse. I had to burn a $200 British Airways voucher a few years after it expired; I couldn't get the time or the additional money together to make another run overseas within a year after my first trip.

But the Vegas run, that's genius.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think you are stuck, too, unless you keep trying and stumble on that sympathetic supervisor you were hoping for (don't bet on it).

I have had much worse done to me by airlines and the fuckers just won't bend.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Your odds of any recourse with the airlines are roughly the same as any intercourse with Keira Knightley.

Which is to say, precisely none and none.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do you have to fly within the year or book within the year?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can you book a flight you don't want to take and cancel it and change it to the flight you really want to take four days beyond the cutoff?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sounds like you're ponied, sir. Can you just go to Guatemala a few days early?

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

This is how I understand it. Most vouchers require you to book within 365 days, however it doesn't have to be USED within 365 days. So, book a trip to Guatamala now, then change the dates. As long as you're going to the same city, you can change the dates without penalty. If you change the city, then you have to pay the $100 fee. It's my understanding once you BOOK, you have another 365 days to use the ticket before it becomes null and void.

Good luck!

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fly within the year.

I've been there.

If I'm mistaken, advise. Wouldn't mind being wrong about this one, a bit.

11. Here's my personal experience ... I got screwed by this exact same thing. Got bumped on a flight, went to make another... etc, etc.

I was told (by no one until after the fact, of course) that I had 365 days from the original date to do something with the ticket. I did; I bought a ticket, but once purchased, I decided on a different carrier because of price.
    So I got another 365 to do something with the booked ticket. But the catch was I had 365 from the original BOOKING date of the ticket purchased, not 365 from the scheduled flight.
    I booked in January, and the flight was in March. I called in late January the next year - thinking I had a good six weeks before expiration - I was 10 days late. They basically told me to go fuck myself.
    Delta told me to mail (not e-mail) a complaint to their customer service department.. they had no number, of course.
    500 dollar screw job.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This is why I don't take the vouchers for a bump--cash or upgrades to F only. The upgrades are my favorite. Last time, I actually ran them out of wine and they had to bring me some of the little bottles from the back.

Draft saved Draft deleted