1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do girls like being called cute?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Feb 16, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

What about breathtaking? [/Elaine]

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My life has been a 25-year punchline. Why not enjoy it?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As for the actual question, I use cute in a way that I consider a compliment, but that I can see why women wouldn't. Basically, to me, it's someone who's attractive, but yet not so attractive as to be unapproachable (or, in other words, out of my league). Like I said, to me it's a compliment, but to them, I could see it being interpreted as me saying, "Boy, I'm glad you're not hotter than you are."

And adorable? No. Babies are adorable. Grown women are never adorable. Hell, nothing over about age 2 is adorable.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My 8-year-old cat is adorable, but she's a cat.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I don't care. I still use it. Never to a woman's face, but I still like it and know what it means for me.

7. Clever, you lost me on adorable.
    If I think someone is adorable, she's WAY too young for me to have that kind of interest.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That has never been why I used "cute." I've been around too many guys who just continue to trot out the words "she's hot." Used that phrase to death.

I've never meant "cute" as "not quite attractive" or "not sexy" or "not hot." But I guess implications rule ...

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"Attractive."

Good catch-all, non-offensive. As my editing prof used to say, the nearest, highest, safest ground.

10. But to me that also sounds a lot less personable ... don't know why. Cute or beautiful or gorgeous all sound more endearing.

Don't think I'd ever describe a woman as adorable though.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I clearly missed the super secret woman memo which stated women are supposed to take offense to the word cute.

I have a lot more important things to worry about other than if someone called me 'cute.'

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It's not something I can explain. And your thoughts on the word make me feel creepy. But it falls in line with my cute-hot theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted