1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do girls like being called cute?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I've heard, in general, they don't. Puppies are cute. Babies are cute. Grown women are pretty, beautiful, gorgeous, even hot but not cute. That sort of thing.

But I am intrigued more than anything by women I find cute. A little bit of unique personality, which you can sometimes gauge by looking into a person's eyes, turns cute into something so much more.

Then there's my idea of cute-hot, which I think can only be explained by way of example: Anne Hathaway is cute-hot. Eva Mendes is beautiful. Both are incredibly attractive, but I suppose Hathaway actually takes on the appearance of being approachable and someone you'd want to have a conversation with.

Anybody have any thoughts on this, or I am just crazy?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You are crazy, and I know a lot of women who refer to themselves as cute on occasion, but don't like it when guys call them cute.

I suppose that's of no help though.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I once called McGriddles girl cute-hot and someone said I was crazy...

But I would never tell a woman I thought she was cute.

Nope.

Never.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Completely empathize with you, Clever. I've always been attracted to women who are cute, not necessarily hot. In fact, call me crazy, but there are times when I'm not attracted to women who other guys clearly consider to be hot.

I sort of wonder about this question, too, but in general, I try to avoid calling girls cute.

5. Clever username

It just confirms what I already thought. I guess I just want to be able to call women cute, to their face, and have it mean something. Because it means more than just the standard definition of cute coming from me.

6. Clever username

Hmm, I probably shouldn't be calling women girls, either, but what can you do?

And, no, for anyone wondering, I didn't call someone cute and get yelled at. I've just had odd thoughts float through my head today.

7. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

My wife hates being called 'cute' and so does my four-year-old daughter.
    I've been told by both that 'pretty' is acceptable

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

anne hathaway is "cute-hot?" on what planet is she not hot-hot?

if that's the standard for "cute," women would have no problem with that description. correct me if i'm wrong, sportschicks of SportsJournalists.com, but adjectives like cute and adorable are for pets and kids, no?

9. Clever username

You see Anne Hathaway in your local pub, yeah she's hot-hot, but I was just going for a scale comparison. Compared to some other actresses she's on the cuter side.

10. sportschick

Part of the reason I think women are adverse to cute is that we tend to use it to describe men, at least in our teens and early 20s. I can see where, like handsome, it's male-identified adjective to many women.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

A step further: how many women out there don't mind being called "chicks?"

I shacked up with such a woman, one who got offended when I told her I'd tell my parents I met a nice young lady. She said, no, tell them you met a cool chick. So much for all the enlightenment I gained on campus, where anything other than "woman" is considered demeaning and grounds for castration.

12. sportschick

Obviously, I don't have a problem being called chick. Most of my girlfriends my age or younger don't. The women I know who are 36ish and up do. I think the chick thing has become generational.

Draft saved Draft deleted