1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do everything in St. Kitts

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sounds like a dream for someone who has been in the business and has a master's degree, but is running away from something in the States.

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1063833
    Company: The Observer
    Position:
    Editor/Writer/Web Editor/Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    November 26, 2009
    Job ID: 1063833

Description:
    The leading newspaper of the caribbean island nation of St.Kitts and Nevis is in search of a talented journalist with an eye for modern newspaper design,an excellent editor,who is able to write great headlines and be the newsroom champion of its website.Must be an expert on page design .Must be a breaking news hound and a quick writer. The successful applicant will be a digital journalist who combines strong reporting skills with the tools necessary to work in a new media environment.Must have exceptional writing,editing and management skills.
    Must have atlease 7 years writing experience and a masters degree in journalism,english or fine arts.

Compensation includes salary,housing allowance and the use of a company car.

Email resume,application with a photo to thesknobserver@yahoo.com.

This is a posting for a job outside the united states The person hired for this job must be able to work independently with little or no supervision.

Please only apply for this job if you meet the stated qualifications.

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Damn good rum in St. Kitts

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm not one to harp on low salaries because haven't we heard it all by now? But unless St. Kitts has a way lower cost of living than I'm thinking, then isn't 20-25 pretty low salary expectations for someone who they want to have a master's degree and seven years of writing experience?

I guess it all hinges on the housing allowance and company car, which you don't see much of in the States. Still, though.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Housing allowance is a big, big plus. Taxes may be different there, too. (Too lazy to look.)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Songbird and or Trooper to the white courtesy phone please ...

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Por que?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can enlighten us on tax rules offshore. When I was working in Deutschland the first $70K was tax-free by the IRS. But that was 15+ years ago.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's still right around that level, IIRC. I'm not making anywhere near $70K, and from the looks of the ad, whoever goes to St. Kitts won't have to worry about that either (even if they pay for relocation). Almost all of the long-term expats say they haven't filed taxes since leaving the US.

If whoever gets this gig has an accountant or tax professional nearby, though, I'd definitely talk to them rather than do anything on my say-so.

Draft saved Draft deleted