1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do championships have an expiration date?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Sep 29, 2010.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I follow the LA Dodgers and get a lot of crap from friends who tell me they haven't won the World Series since 1988.

The problem is, these people follow teams such as San Diego and Colorado, which have never won a championship.

When I say at least the Dodgers have won, I'm accused of living in the past.

If you're a fan of the Yankees or Cardinals or anyone else who has won since '88, blast away. Otherwise shut up.

These ringless wonders seem to think a little recent success erases the accomplishments of teams that have actually won titles.

Do fans of teams that have never hoisted a championship just not get it, or am I indeed living in the past?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're living in the past! Suck it says this Brewers fan! :D

I think it depends on the argument. In your example, fans of those teams would be far wiser to argue a winnable point.

Padres fan: We've been to the playoffs more recently than you have!

But do world championships have an expiration date perception-wise? That's tough.

Part of me says yes, but then I think to my own arguments and realize I've pulled out the, "Milwaukee won a World Series in 1957" card a few times against Cleveland, and especially, Cubs fans.

The one that Vikings fans use against Packers fans is that the Packers won two of their Super Bowls when LBJ was in office. But as a Packers fan, I just laugh at their no-trophy-having asses.

Bears and Packers fans argue about NFL championships. The Packers have won more, and the usual retort is that they won a lot of them before the forward pass was legal. I understand their point, but it's still easy and accurate to say, "so what?"

Anyway, I'm rambling. To sum up, Cubs fans can never win an argument against fans of any other team ever.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think there should be an expiration on when fans can stop talking shit about winning a title.

Don't tell Bears or Mets fans that though. :D

4. Bubbler

That's true. In my case, it would be supremely stupid to brag about the Packers' 1996 championship.

Unless I'm talking to a Bears or Vikings fan. :D

5. Mizzougrad96

I have my Niners "Got Five" shirt that should read, but we're also 0-3 and haven't been to the playoffs in eight years.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I see this posted on a message board for my alma mater occasionally. Obviously, this one is making fun on K-State fans, but I think it sums up the way almost any fanbase can be.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

But, but, but, that Bears team was like the best of all time! ;D

8. Mizzougrad96

I was covering a Florida game in 2002 or so and as I was walking in I saw about 50 cars with "National Champions" on their license plates and I remember saying to someone, "Is it just me, or is it six years later?"

Fans are dumb.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The only expiration date is the one at which grown men should stop giving other grown men shit about what their teams are doing.

The date is the day you graduate from college.

10. Mizzougrad96

I disagree with that. At my first job, there were a group of us from Missouri who had a friendly rivalry with some Kansas grads and whoever won in football had to buy the other group dinner. It was as good-natured as you can get (probably because both teams were pretty bad at the time) and friendships were made that exist to this day.

But like with anything else, some people are stupid and lose perspective and take things too far.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As a Colts fanboi looser living in Chicago, a small part of me wishes the Bears beat the Colts in their Super Bowl just so everybody would shut up about 1985 and realize Ditka hasn't said anything interesting in 20 years. The '85 Bears can still rack up the endorsements, such as Otis Wilson's heartfelt accolades to his divorce lawyer, a guy who promises to hate women as much as you do.

12. Bubbler

Edited.

The 1985 Bears were a great one-year team. But not only are they not the best team ever, but they weren't the best team to win a Super Bowl in a two-year period from 1984-85.

Draft saved Draft deleted