1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do awards matter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by valpo87, Oct 8, 2011.

?

Does winning awards for writing/photography really matter?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

For the second year in a row, I kind of got snubbed at the Washington Newspaper Publishers Association awards last night... then again I did get third place in page design. Not what I was aiming for since 1) I entered just about every sports writer and photography category available and 2) I don't even remember entering page design.

Part of me is a little down, but the other part of me is saying it was the first award out of college (graduated in 2009). So do they even matter? Should the work that I do and present to future employers be enough? Or will not having been recognized by WNPA hurt down the road?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're want to win awards, then they matter, but it probably won't help you get more money.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Depends. State awards won't really help your career much. National awards will make your career.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They mean nothing. And everything.

5. I've won two of those ... They've done nothing for my career as far as advancement because everybody applying for the same jobs I am has far more than I do, probably.

But they make me feel good about the work I do. But I like what SmallPotatoes said, that's about the truth.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

You talking state or national awards?

Having national awards and getting passed over for someone who has more doesn't prove they're worthless. Not sure if that was what you were saying. Having national awards makes you more attractive than someone who doesn't.

Whether state or national, awards can't hurt. It is nice to be able to say you are an award winning journalist.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Nope.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Depends on whether I win them or not.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

How many times has this been discussed here? I fall on the side that thinks awards look good on the resume and make you feel good about the work you do. I know that I feel pride when my paper is top 10 in the APSE awards, and I've won a handful. Nothing wrong with a little validation. The problem comes when papers/writers/designers TRY to win awards. Just do the work the best you can, and if it's good enough you'll be rewarded.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Yeah, what Small said,.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

In three consecutive years I got a first, a second and an honorable mention in APSE writing categories.

Since then I've been laid off twice.

12. For better or worse, they matter a great deal. Many editors, even those with huge reputations and at magnificent papers, consider a good story a great story only after it has won an award. That's just the way it is, idiotic as that notion actually is.

It's wrong, but that's a byproduct of the competition in this business. I know folks who have at least gotten a foot in the door at better (in theory) places only because that APSE award or whatever jumps out at the hiring editor. The same clip might not have popped if not for that line on the resume that it was recognized by some subjective group of strangers.

Awards are terrific for standing out from the pile of applications; it's usually on the applicant to take it from there and interview well.

Draft saved Draft deleted