1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do as I say, not as I do.... Welcome to the corporate giant, Cheyenne, Wyo.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 28, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Reuters exposes "shell games" of some business ventures.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-report-little-house-secrets-great-plains-113759191.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wyoming is the new Delaware.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

"A corporation is a legal person created by state statute that can be used as a fall guy, a servant, a good friend or a decoy," the company's website boasts. "A person you control... yet cannot be held accountable for its actions. Imagine the possibilities!"

Enough said. Forget a nuke on Libya. Place one here.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But ... but ... I thought deregulation was good for America?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Deregulation is fine with responsible people.

These are criminals.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

That's some damned fine reporting.

Love the shell owner saying he doesn't encourage illegal activities. Uh, yeah... dude? Read your website.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You just boiled down why Libertarianism doesn't work in two sentences. Well-done.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unless you equate libertarianism with anarchism, that isn't true.

Some libertarians are anarchists. But most aren't. Most libertarians are minarchists. And they advocate a social contract of some sort that prizes individualism, but puts limits on you at the point of theft or fraud or other forms of deceipt.

I don't think the thing this thread is about is really theft or fraud, except in the cases where the shell companies are doing illegal things, like selling stolen goods.

That story actually makes a case for libertarianism if you ask me, because the whole world of shell companies is borne in the first place from too much state involvement in our lives, and the corruption and complicated structures that inevitably leads to.

Draft saved Draft deleted