1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Americans understand how far they have fallen in world's eyes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RARist, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Are we the elephant or are we the gorilla in the China shop? Pick a wild animal and go with it. Or should we add the walrus too?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When was that? When we were dropping a bomb somewhere in the world every 12 seconds? When we were supporting puppet dictators (while warring against non-puppet ones)? When we were overthrowing governments?

champ_kind likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Some British guy named Paul already claimed the walrus.

tapintoamerica and OscarMadison like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How many eye rolls the next time the US ambassador to the UN steps up to the mike and tries to lecture the offending country about their un-democratic actions?

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. RARist

RARist Member

At least then the rest of the world had the sense - whether we liked it or not - you at least knew what you were doing.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Rest of the world" is a big place.

After our support of the mujahideen, creating ISIS and selling weapons to dubious actors, more than one country has thrown up its hands and asked us, "Whose side are you on, anyway?"

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The apparent answer is the side of The Mighty Dollar.

Everything revolves around that.

Propping up the economy.
    Stock markets.
    Arms sales.
    Oil.
    Etc.

Two other related parts: Greed and Me.

Me, me, me, me, me, me, ME!

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yet the GOP has spun the myth of Amurrrican Exceptionalism and cast it as a purity test for patriotism. If you don’t believe it, they say, get out.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again - America voted Biden as President. I did, too. America shouted from every social media mountain top I've seen that deplored and denounced what happened at the Capitol Wednesday. Millions and millions of people.

The simplest mantra of any sports team is "control what you can control." Which, in the case of the American people, was our own hearts, our own minds and our own votes. The majority of Americans - with families, with jobs, with lives to lead and struggles to attend to - have done that. Trump will be gone. It should get better.

What else is there? Surely not sending 50,000 progressives to DC to tangle with the Trump mob. Goodness, no. Voting the people who supported Trump out? In due time, we can. Joining Anderson Cooper in indicting Olive Garden and Holiday Inn as the eating and hotel establishments of Trump's America? Creating an corporate and private enemies list of people who attended the rally? Begin to have personal, private conversations with Trump supporters on how to bring them back into the mainstream fold? Begin, instead, with a kind of cultural reconciliation program in which Trump supporters can confess their ideologies, be forgiven and reconciled?

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You labor for a terminal patient.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

too late

Draft saved Draft deleted