1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN's SportsDay ... share and share alike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Sep 5, 2010.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Journalism killer, too.

My point - made admittedly by a "Hey you kids, get off my lawn" old guy - is that this kills the reason for anyone to subscribe to the DMN or any other paper that operates in a similar fashion. What makes what the DMN is doing any different than some aggregating site that collects links and posts 'em.

Also, it's a sad slide for the DMN from what it used to be. I hope Chuck is feeling better but 10, 15 years ago, similar situation, someone would have been on a plane to Houston to cover Texas-Rice.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amen to that; I am happier to learn that he has a heart [/friendfor20years]

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

To a certain extent, yeah. There's no real reason you need 500 sportswriters at the Super Bowl, writing about the same darn event. Anymore than you need 500 people covering the same darn presidential press conference.

Look at what AP does. They have the home team's bureau writer staff the game and send it to everyone, whether you're in New York, Los Angeles or someplace in between. Sure, they add extra people for bigger events, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I can see where it's worthwhile to have a reporter or reporters at a game of strong local interest. But no way in hades should the DMN or LA Times or NY Times be sending a reporter to cover, say, the Florida-Alabama college football game. That's just a freakin' waste of resources... something management has finally awoken to.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Dang, hope Chuck is OK. He works his ass off trying to cover the Big 12 for that paper.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why is the DMN paying Austin and Houston and Waco to cover games when they're already paying the AP for the same coverage?

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I would imagine that DMN is getting the stories free in return for giving away their stories free to other papers ...

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Once I read the post here about Chuck Carlton, nothing else on this thread mattered to me anymore. My wishes and prayers are for Chuck and a full, speedy recovery, and I don't even know the guy.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

what clutch said

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what the DMN can offer these other papers other than maybe Cowboys coverage.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I look at it this way... it's just week one. I'm sure the DMN will travel to the big important games in the coverage area later this season... maybe not all of them, but they'll have some of their own gamers/analysis in there.

I second all the recovery wishes for Chuck.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For most of them that's more than enough.

And I'm stunned so many people are blowing by the fact a really good guy just had a heart attack.

12. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Most, if not all, of the newspapers that cover Big 12 schools are in a content sharing agreement. They share college coverage budgets, stories, etc. It's been that way for a couple of years now.

Draft saved Draft deleted