1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dmn's new style of web journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 4, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm sure that was intended as hard-hitting journalism. ::)

But I'll bet it will get him ribbed incessantly in the locker room.

3. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Actually (and I shouldn't admit this) I chuckled while watching it. It was harmless.

4. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

My friends who live in that part of Texas drive 30 miles to buy the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Now I know why. They say that the DMN has become the lousy step-child of the Tulsa World.
    The guy running DMN sports is about 98 years old, according to what Scotland Yard calls, "information received." They have kept only low, low earners and butt-kissers. (And the low-earners actually out-perform the butt-lickers!) Ah, Camelot!

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That video will get a ton of hits. It is interesting and involves an athlete. People will eat it up.

I love how Newman screams like a girl on a wimpy rollercoaster, but will step on the football field with bohemoths every Sunday. I'd feel safer on the coaster.

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I thought that video was hilarious. Of course, I am a Cowboys fan and I do check out the DMN's Cowboys section everyday. Seeing as I don't live near Texas, I think they cover the team pretty well on the site.

7. Howard Sprague

Howard Sprague New Member

If I understand you correctly, your "friends" drive 60 miles round-trip to pluck down 50 cents ($1.50 on Sunday) for a newspaper that can be read for free on-line.

Admittedly, my math stinks, but let's say your "friends" get 30 miles per gallon. At roughly $3.50 per gallon, I 'figger your "friends" could be spending more than $50 per week to read the Star-Telegram. Wow.

I can only surmise:

a) The paper version of the Star-Telegram is a product to behold and its price should immediately be raised to reflect its astounding supply-and-demand value.

b) Your "friends" are idiots.

c) You have no idea what you're talking about.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Touche, Howard. Touche.

9. captzulu

captzulu Member

I thought the video was funny. It shows a different side of an athlete, and fans like that. And as someone else said, it'll probably get a bunch of hits. Besides, the caption says they were already at the park to do a photoshoot for the preview section, so it wasn't like they spent time and resources to go there just for the purpose of shooting him riding the rollercoaster. If you look at the other videos on that site, they run the gamut from lighthearted to serious. Singling out the Newman piece as representative of their style of Web journalism is like singling out a paper's comic strip as representative of print journalism.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That was good quality picture, too, which is critical.

I think it was Frank Ridgeway who made a good point awhile ago about newspapers having no chance with this stuff if the quality is bad. And, in a lot of places, it's bad.

11. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

12. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

:)
    I never said my friends didn't like to eat. While they're Star-Telegram-fetching, they also have lunch at a Fort Worth icon for Tex-Mex food _ so, yeah, maybe they don't go to FW just for the paper. Don't know that they're idiots, though. I've never been to Fort Worth, so can't comment on the restaurants.

Draft saved Draft deleted