1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jps, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Noel has been gone for some time now.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

summarily dismissed, or of his own design?

3. Left for another job, but I'm not sure where. Too many new destinations for DMNers to keep straight.

4. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Yess, Noel left for ESPN.com to take over NFL coverage. He was an editor at DMN and they had been talking for a while. I believe he left between the time it was announced that buyouts were coming down and when they actually did.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

This is partially incorrect. Noel Nash is now Senior Director of Content for ESPN's Data Group. In other words, a bigger and better job than 90 percent of us (myself included) can dream of.

rb

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Since I wasn't around for the discussion on this, I googled it and discovered the SE from a small paper's name was Leon Carter. Is this the same Leon Carter that is the SE at the New York Daily News?

7. Basil Exposition

Basil Exposition New Member

Blackistone and Dwayne Bray definitely out.

http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/060901_prince/

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

My sources tell me Blackistone and Fraley took the buyout.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen Kevin in a long time. He and I used to cross paths often. Very good guy, I always enjoyed chatting with him. I'm sure he'll find something else very soon.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a question. Those of you in the Dallas area, what is the local reaction to this news? The dominant media operation in town is gutting itself in the name of profit. The News sold itself on the principle that Dallas was a world class city that deserved and needed a world class newspaper. Now, by God, fellow Belo property the Providence Journal might be better staffed. Are Dallas residents hurt, scornful, do they give a shit? What?

11. standman

standman Member

Well, when you're a one-paper town and the only info you produce about the buyout is one story six inches long, I think it's fair to say most people don't notice. Yet. If the paper allows its top people to write goodbye columns (at this point it might as well be a special section), people may start to notice.

I know people in the business care because the DMN set such a high standard, but the average person couldn't care less about the grunts in the media and only care when there is big news about the superstars. The only folks really writing much about the gutting of the editorial staff are the local (media) blogs.

Dallas mayor Laura Miller recently started bragging about how the city is dedicating itself to the arts. Too bad the paper is losing all of its main critics and is in the process of gutting its arts and entertainment section.

12. fw

fw New Member

I heard Bray was going to head up espn.com's nfl coverage, but I guess not:

... Bray said he will join ESPN at its Bristol, Conn., headquarters as news editor on its remote production crew. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted