1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN to stop sharing with FWST

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Feb 18, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A little bird told me that the Dallas Morning News has decided to stop sharing sports content with FW Star-Telegram because the FWST's final deadline (11:10 p.m.) is too early for their tastes.

My two cents: Even with crappy early deadlines for the past 5 years, FWST stories are consistently better than the hardly-better-than-AP crap cranked out by the DMN beat writers (especially colleges).

Also from the FWST rumor mill: Paper's management to announce earlier deadlines soon and by early next week might cut up to 100 employees, per McClatchy's stock price hitting record lows.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

There are a lot of rumors going around about McClatchy demanding many more cuts. True?

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

For now, rumors. Most assume it's soon to be facts considering stock price, recent 4Q earning report.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've talked to a few people at different McClatchy papers and they all say cuts are coming in February.

5. Fredrick

Wow and February is running out. I know people on 3 McClatchy sports staffs and they said they really are bare bonesed except for editors.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Heard the same. I believe the end of the first quarter is March 28. I would expect another huge hit by then at the latest.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Thirding that rumor. The papers are still going over budgets at their level and word is that when the cuts come, there won't be a lot of time to dwell on the option of buyouts. I'd be surprised if we made it to March before the layoffs/furloughs for McClatchy commence this time around.

8. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Sock nailed it.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

A McClatchy sports person told me the cuts at their place could be a'coming as early as this week.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Also, word is DMN will make staff cuts in late March, about the time NCAA Tournament regionals are done.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Got to love the timing, huh? Wait until March Madness is done, then show those hard workers the door.

There is nothing good to say anymore about the way this business is being operated.

12. Fredrick

Getting rid of people after major events like March Madness is stupid. There's always another big story around the corner in the newspaper business.
    Fucking pricks.

Draft saved Draft deleted