1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dmn subscription call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, May 19, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

oh boy, something else to bash the dmn about.

was at my mom's house and just overheard this. phone rings and someone (a dmn circulation employee) obviously asks something like "how are you doing." to which my mom replies, "not so good. my husband has had a stroke and i'm just home from the hospital long enough to check on the house." at this point i would think the person would politely say thank you and that would be the end of the phone call. nope, this dingbat starts right into her sales pitch (since mom recently decided $30 a month is too much) and doesn't shut up until mom just hangs up. c'mon dmn, i know you're needing subscribers but show some freakin class when you call someone who obviously has other problems more important. take your telemarketing cap off and be a human.

ok, i'm done with my rant.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, common sense and human decency aren't prerequisite skills for a telemarketer.

Persistence, though, is.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I know several people who take the 30 days free offer and just never pay the bill, and keep getting the paper for months basically for free. That's how desperate the DMN is for circulation.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

5. When I got the DMN's subscription call, I went through chapter and verse on all the cuts the DMN had made, loss of space, reporters, etc, went on a good five minutes. When I finished, I asked the telemarketer, "Now why in the world would I want to subscribe to that newspaper now, if I wouldn't take it before when it was a better product? Doesn't that sound stupid to you?"

Telemarketer actually said yes, to which I said "Thank you" and hung up.

Draft saved Draft deleted