1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN reporter goes into comedy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Only posted this on this board because I figured some people here might know him, but I'm watching a guy named Drake Witham on Comedy Central right now.
    He's pretty damn good. Apparently he won some awards while working for the Dallas Morning News. What's this guy's story? Did he leave the DMN on his own? If he didn't he should have. He'll make much more money as a comic.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never heard of him, but maybe he's an old alum.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

Seemed like a younger guy, mid-30s at the latest.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.joebobbriggs.com/

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

What did I miss?

6. robschneider

robschneider Member

I wasn't there while Drake was, but he did leave on his own (seven years ago?) to pursue standup. He was a Metro report.

He's been on the Late Late show. Pretty funny stuff. I haven't heard him use the newspaper career in his bits. I have heard him talk about temp jobs.

http://www.drakewitham.com/

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He was pretty funny, especially on the "We'll see" bit.

I know it was a short bit, but I'd love to hear him incorporate the newspaper biz more in his routine. Talk about a gold mine of material. . .

Draft saved Draft deleted