1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN Managing Editor suggests Google best for searching DMN site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 3, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

True, that. When the paper's ME admits _ in an Internet post, for all the world to see _ the web site sucks, I have to admire his candor but rip the fact that a major newspaper who is pinning its future on its web site continues to fail to get its web site right.
    Maybe the DMN needs to out-source things to ... India or somehwere.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

It's not just the DMN.
    I don't know about anyone else, but we have the same problem at my place. Our internal archive is fine, but Google News is much faster for anything less than a month old. And the search function on our website is utterly useless. I find the same at a lot of other papers' sites.
    For an industry that's placing all its chips on the web, we're doing a pretty piss-poor job with the basic infrastructure.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Our site search function's default is to provide results both from our site and our JOA paper's site. Many people have complained about this, and the suits and tech folks keep trotting out lame excuses for why it's this way.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I greatly enjoyed this part of a response (my bolding):

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

my old paper has a google search bar as part of it's web site. the company partnered with googs. my old editor there, since fired, would tell us...use the google search, not the site search. why, we asked? because we get money every time...

never saw any of that huge cash flow. and our former web site, which had a decent archive, disappeared. :'(

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We have a large paper morgue (roughly 30 years of bound volumes and another 27 on microfilm). But as for online stuff, our web site is actually better than our regular computer system. I can find stuff from the last 10 years or so on the site, but if I search the computer archives I'm lucky to find something from two weeks ago.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

We have every paper we've ever published (under both names; we merged in the mid-'90s) either in hard copy or microfilm. And our site's search function works pretty well. Our shop recognized the importance of the Internet fairly early and has worked hard to pump resources into our Web operation.

Draft saved Draft deleted