1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN goes to 75¢ daily and $2.00 on Sundays

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, May 21, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it took so long ...

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2008/05/your_news_is_about_to_get_a_li.php

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well, there you go. See, we don't have to find a way to make money on the Web. We can just raise the price of the print product. Problem solved, disaster averted. ::)

EDIT: In seriousness, you're right in that it was only a matter of time, Bat. With the gas prices going out of control, in addition to general inflation, etc., it's unreasonable to expect newspaper prices to stay where they have been. But that won't stop readers from bitching about it.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Home delivery subscription rates for the DMN have been raised twice in the last year.
    What an excellent business model _ charge more for less. Are newspaper execs smarter than a 2nd grader? Apparently not.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Ever bought a Sunday NY Times lately? I did last weekend and really, I wasn't too embarrassed to pull out a FIVE DOLLAR BILL. But the clerk, God bless her, sympathized and said, "Wow, I wouldn't buy that." Maybe she just doesn't read Dave Anderson.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The clerk's probably a Trentonian regular.

6. That's funny, because a few years back the DMN "experimented" by charging a quarter for the daily paper. It lasted about a week.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Worst possible time -- shrinkage of editorial product, literally and in quality, along with rotten economy -- to ask people to pay more for anything . . . when they have a free alternative.

They must think they're the post office, raising the price of stamps and thumbing their noses at e-mail.

Why don't they just hurry it all along and charge $2 for the daily and $5 for the Sunday and see where that puts them?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The editorial product has shrunk, but it's still larger than some big-city dailies on most days. Now we'll see if this stops the bleeding somewhat.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The bleeding won't stop until the DMN does away with the print product (except for Sunday). Trust me, that's what's coming. Five years from now, the DMN will on-line only with just a Sunday edition.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

It's like the DirecTV commercials they've been running with the fake business school guy.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Yep. Maybe the Belo Bozos saw that commercial and said, "Say, that's a GOOD idea."

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

But every place has greatly reduced prices for delivery. These jumps just affect occasional street sales, and in a generally non-walking town like Dallas, I doubt that accounts for much.

Draft saved Draft deleted