1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN doesn't get it; and doesn't have IT either

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Apr 4, 2007.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Unrelated, but might have relevance.

I was filing from a press box a few years ago via dialup and couldn't get connected to our computer via an 800 number.

After a couple of hours of grief, I finally was able to discern from an operator that some 800 numbers don't work from all locations. I never knew that could be a possibility.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

SCD: I've got 30 years in the biz this June.

I'm usually so calm generally that when I blow up, it's huge news, a once-every-few-years type thing.

So I say, with complete admiration for your restraint: If I were you in this situation, this would have been one of those times.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

like anything, it depends on the person.
    we had one guy who, whenever he walked through our department, someone would yell "Save", the joke being that this guy's mere presence could fuck up your computer.
    But there was another guy who, when I was at the Olympics, took control of my computer from our office and fixed it. I was sitting there, 5,000 miles away, and this guy was moving my mouse around and making keystrokes. Was bizarre, and it worked.
    He got a nice bottle of wine on my return

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're filing from the road and can't get in, why isn't dictation an option?

Draft saved Draft deleted