1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN doesn't get it; and doesn't have IT either

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Apr 4, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The Dallas Morning News, as part of its downsizing, did away with its in-house IT department. It out-sourced its computer tech issues to IBM. It's been working out REAL well.
    A few months ago, the DMN's computers nearly melted down and they came close to not printing. It happened again this week. Two items from D Magazine blog:

From a DMNer in response to the fact there was no activity on the DMN editorial blog for 24 hours:

The editorialistas may not be blogging today for the same reason this reporter is working at home: because the DMN computer system has, once again, suffered a near-total meltdown. I really, really miss our in-house IT people. Ever since they outsourced that department to IBM, it's been a joke. One of these days, we fear, we won't be able to get the paper out at all.

Then there was this item about the reaction of DMN publisher James Maroney when he was on the phone with IBM's computer geeks:

He then began screaming at them that the paper might not go out, that they've been dawdling for three hours, and that "You owe me a [Lord's name in vain] apology! I want my [same word] apology! [Eff word] you! I want my apology!"

Hmmmmm, Maroney appears to be unhappy with the level of customer service he's receiving from IBM. I wonder if DMN readers might take the same tack if they ever had a conversation with Maroney:

"As a subscriber, you owe me a (Lord's name in vain) better newspaper. I want an editorial page with a (Lord's name in vain) editorial cartoonist. I'm tired of (Lord's name in vain) ads on the bottom of Page 1 sports. I want more (Lord's name in vain) national sports coverage and I want some (Lord's name in vain) sports columnists who can take a (Lord's name in vain) stand. (Eff you) I want my newspaper back."

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There used to be a great newspaper called The Dallas Morning News.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

if true, this is funny. i like when people face consequences for their actions especially if the actions are as fucking stupid as this. hey, morons, tech is kinda important. you can't outsource your IT department. fucking idiots.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's one of the stupidest decisions ever made. Unfortunately, it's barely in the top five of stupid decisions made at The Dallas Morning News in the last seven years.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What happsens if they have a computer problem? Do they phone a call center in India?

6. Four words: Teen female tech support.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Then the 63-year old would have a heart attack and die after this conversation, because the current generation reading laptop snippets or blogs wouldn't say this.

So true.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That sounds like an adult swim cartoon.

9. healingman

healingman Guest

Ah-hem ... (clearing my throat) ... "GIVE ME BACK MY NEWSPAPER!!!"

Thanks for stopping by, Mel Gibson.

DMN = Dysfunctional Mutating Newspaper

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Fact: The DMN is outsourcing its IT stuff. Most of its in-house IT people took the buyout. And a couple of months ago, some of the in-house IT people had to temporarily relocate to Providence to help that Belo property's IT problems.

The Maroney phone conversation was overheard by DMN people working on the same floor and passed along to the D Magazine bloggers.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hear they're hiring a Linotype operator.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

WOW! I cannot imagine being at a newspaper and not having immediate assistance for tech support. And hell, with some of our older folks on staff (no offense older folks), they need help learning how to attach a document to an email.

Good luck DMN staff. My prayers are with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted