1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DMN buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ARD, Jun 24, 2006.

1. annoyed

annoyed Member

That applies more to the S-T. With some exceptions, the desk props up many of the writers much of the time. Very few APSE writing winners, but the S-T manages to win the APSE triple crown.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Last three years.

DMN:
    2005: Top 10 daily, top 10 Sunday, no special section; Brad Townsend third in feature writing
    2004: Triple Crown; no writing top 10's
    2003: Top 10 daily, top 10 Sunday, HM special section; Juliet Macur second in features, Brad Townsend tied for fifth in features; Juliet Macur tied for fifth in projects; team of 11 third in investigative

Fort Worth:
    2005: Triple Crown; Danny Robbins HM in investigative
    2004: HM daily, top 10 Sunday, top 10 special section; no writing top 10's
    2003: Top 10 daily, HM Sunday, top 10 special section; Jeff Caplan HM in breaking news

3. annoyed

annoyed Member

Touche. FWIW Danny Robbins is technically on the investigation team and hasn't been attached to the sports department for years.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

inducted into the pro football hall of fame?

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

The Fort Worth paper is sending someone to the WC because there is serious interest in the US this year.
    The TV #'s back it up.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding!!!

Danny Robbins is great at what he does, but he writes maybe once a month for sports. Maybe. Day-to-day, the desk carries FW's sports section and has for years.

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

They may be good, but I don't think you're giving credit to some of their writers. I've read their paper for awhile, and they've got some damn good talent, and some that's flying under the radar, too.

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

No one has to be great, but if a paper is consistently winning APSE Top 10 awards, then there are really, really good people in high percentages spread throughout the department, from the regular freelancers to the top dog.

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I agree. I'm just referring to the last part of this last sentence up above. Seemed a little off base, IMO.

10. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

So Cowlishaw is a nobody?

11. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

I can't believe people are criticizing the DMN sports section. The section is the Yankees of sports section.

The DMN has swept APSE for years. Papers have strived to be as thorough and progressive as them. The DMN, National and USA Today are responsible for improving agate presentation.

12. greenie

greenie Member

Yes, the writers' wing. One writer each year is inducted. Goose was the guy in 2004.

Draft saved Draft deleted