1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dmn a weekly?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jan 26, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ok, can't see this happening anytime soon but i found this story on frontburner, the d magazine blog. the following paragraph really caught my eye:

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2009/01/26/will-the-dmn-go-weekly-or-twice-weekly/

http://www.thedeal.com/newsweekly/features/black-and-white-and-red-all-over.php#bottom

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sounds like a more extreme version of what the Detroit Media Partnership is doing. Most the advertising revenue comes on Sunday and (I think Friday). By eliminating the other days, you save a ton of money in printing costs etc.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

4. It's just one voice on the board of directors. Then again, one voice has led the Belo Death Star to do some incredibly stupid things in years past, too: cue cats, TXCN, etc.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What a bunch of fucking idiots.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I talked to my DMN carrier buddy yesterday. He's already taking it in the shorts with all the people quitting the paper. Now he says they've dropped an hour from all deadlines, which means that much less West Coast stuff. It's becoming a self-propelled ride down the drain.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fine, let's just shut the whole thing down! Gutter the presses, close the doors, lay off everyone and just all go home.

Between television, radio, magazines and the internet, I honestly don't know if newspapers would be missed. At worst, people would get over it after a couple of months.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think you are wrong there.

Newspapers have bigger staffs than TV and radio, even in our time of pain. We generate so much local content that TV's and radio couldn't do without, even beyond the idea they get all of their news from us.

People will miss us.

Something will fill the void.

I just don't know what it is.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

exaggerate much?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If that's the case, someone else can restart when the economic conditions are ripe for doing such.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ask yourself this question. When was the last time you saw someone under 30 go into a store and purchase a newspaper? Better yet, count the number of times that you've seen someone under 30 do it.
    The younger generation, which is the target audience for most advertisers, isn't reading newspapers. Until that changes, papers are going to be in terrible shape.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why is that such a target audience for advertisers?

Do people under 30 have more buying power than the older generations? I don't see under-30s buying houses, cars or a lot of other items advertisers are selling.

Draft saved Draft deleted