1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dmitri Young -- thanks for playing we have some lovely parting gifts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Sep 6, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, if the Tigers could cut Damion Easley and take, at the time, the biggest financial hit ever in releasing a player, they sure as hell could cut Bobby Higginson. May as well have cut him...what did he do last year, hit like .023 in 35 ABs?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's a damned good line, DyePack. :D

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think they had a limit of one of those catastrophic cataclysmic buyouts a year. They weren't in training camp a week or two before Troy Percival's arm went blooey, so I think they knew from early, early on, they were gonna have to swallow another coconut with his contract, so I think they were hell-bent that if they could squeeze another season of .257, 11 HR and 53 RBI out of Higginson, they were gonna get every last drop of blood out of that turnip.

For being, supposedly, the unchallenged Obi-Wan Kenobi of the front office (according to all the boilerplate earlier this season), an awful lot of Dave Dombrowski's moves the last couple of years have been going up in fiery mushroom clouds, no?? (Kenny Rogers, incidentally, is next on the launch pad. ::) )

I mean, this year, with the Tigers suddenly dynamite at the box office, suddenly Mike Ilitch has money spewing out of his ears, his eyes, his nose, his mouth and every excretory orifice, but even he must tire, at some point, at watching multimillion-dollar contracts go up in flames.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That Higginson explanation makes a lot of sense. Thanks Tigersfanboy!!! :D

And hey, Rogers has pitched well the last month. I'm sure he'll continue to do well as the pressure increases on the fading Tigers! :D

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's just me, but I think I'd suggest to quit signing 35-40-40+ year-old free agents with histories of either catastrophic injuries, blatantly out of shape, or team-destructive behavior. But what the hell do I know.

Nothing wrong with signing free agents. It's signing the bad ones that ain't so smart.

Draft saved Draft deleted