1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dmitri Young auctions off his $5 million baseball card collection

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, May 11, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you're looking for a valuable rookie card, chances are, Dmitri Young has it.

During his 13-year career, Young spent approximately $5 million of his $53 million in career earnings on baseball cards — and the result was perhaps the best collection of rookie cards in the world.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120511/SPORTS0104/205110344#ixzz1uajwtkks

He's putting them up for auction. The $5 million bought him a mere 497 cards, but he makes up for it with quality.

Two of the cards, Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron, already are over $100,000, and the Pete Rose and Reggie Jackson cards are closing in on that mark.

While Young's love of baseball cards dates to his childhood, this collection began when he broke into the majors. He remembers doing a card show with Reds teammate Danny Graves in 2000. And rather than being paid in cash, Young requested a Rose rookie card.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I always liked Dmitri Young. I like him more now.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know he's had some health issues. He looks very thin. I hope all is well with him.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

That's Dmitri Young? Holy shit.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/89888/

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Card dealers took advantage of him? I'm shocked.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

he was a big pro wrestling fan. think at one time, he may have said it was real.

Draft saved Draft deleted