1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DJ Gallo does it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, May 15, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Sportspickle.com founder nailed another ESPN column this week with an awesome article completely ragging on Latrell Sprewell.

I don't know if many of you would consider him a real journalist because he never actually quotes people, but sustaining funny-bone pieces week after week deserves some applause.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080514

Best Line:

4. Embrace being a cautionary tale
    You are the athlete poster child for poor financial decision-making. Go with it. Speak to NBA teams and young athletes in every sport about how they need to set money aside for the future. Have them set the money aside. Then grab it and run.

And while we're at it... here is another one he wrote a few weeks ago about Isiah Thomas and what he would say to his former players if he had a chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080423&sportCat=nba

Best Line:

Fred Jones: "I coached you on the Pacers and I coached you on the Knicks. No doubt you'll have a lot of amazing stories to tell your grandkids one day."

2. Thanks for checking in, Deej.

3. sportsed

sportsed Member

Simple mind, simple pleasure.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So you're saying it isn't funny?

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

Sorry, but no. Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion, of course. The example you shared earlier was, indeed, the best of the column. But in my opinion, Gallo is the Dave Kingman of sports humorists, and that one doesn't even make the warning track.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pedestrian?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My favorite part, and that's slim pickins, is mustangj17 calling it a column and an article in a span of like seven words.

9. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

I thought it was funny. It is what it is, and his stuff is clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't know what I expected when I started this thread.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Make that two.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Of course you did. Now go back to Slam and stop trying to be a poor man's SAS. (How do I make font blue?)

Draft saved Draft deleted