1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. I am installing a game camera on the porch.
    What the best way to install it to protect if from damage and/or being stolen?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Surround it with a moat. Fill the moat with poo. Set the poo on fire.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If what you are talking about is what I'm picturing, just make sure it's securely fastened down with long screws. The only person who would steal something like that would be a jackass kid doing it just for thrills. If it's mounted really well, they won't take the time because they can't just grab it and run.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From being stolen, use these (I have them on all mine on my hunting property) ...

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8418KADCAM-TMB-Adjustable-Locking/dp/B000LZRKFC

For damage, they make lockboxes designed for each type of trail cam that protects the camera. But you still need one of those cable locks to secure it.

5. I have an enclosed porch. I planned to mount it the upper corner facing the door. I thought about trying to encase it in a metal box to protect it from vandals and making sure it is secured from being pried out.

A lockbox sounds like the thing I need if I can mount it well enough that can't be ripped out.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have cool neighbors.

Hide it in a can or some type of decoration. You leave it out in the open, you are inviting for it to be fucked with.

7. We live on a high foot traffic street - between a McDonalds and Gabe's (cheap clothing store) and several apartment complexes.
    I have a nice house with a good-sized yard ... but it was broken into in broad daylight a few years ago. Kids have had three bikes stolen off the porch.
    And there are pry bar marks on the front door jam (again, broad-fucking-daylight).
    We put in a security system and I installed motion-activated flood lights.
    I have a sporting goods GC to spend and they don''t carry the type of camp grill I want so I am going with the camera.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In addition to the game cam, you might consider buying a legit surveillance camera connected to a recorder hidden in the attic.

Draft saved Draft deleted