1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dixie Carter of Designing Women fame dies at age 70

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Never a big fan of Democratic Designing Women -- though I wasn't in their target demo, so that's to be expected -- but it did have its moments, almost all tied to the guy was played the assistant. He was funny.

And good call to OP for mentioning Designing Women in the thread title. Because there's another one, this one being the president of wrestling group TNA:

[​IMG]

Now I'm going to a wrestling board and trolling them with DIXIE CARTER IS DEAD in the thread title to get them all panicky!

And RIP to the original Dixie.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wow. I never would have bet Hal Holbrook (who just turned 85) would outlive her.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I rarely watch TNA, and when they first said that Dixie Carter was the owner, I was thinking of the Designing Women Dixie.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Awful news.

I used to watch that show on occasion, though Dad #1 was more into the show than I was. I still was well-acquainted with the delights of seeing Dixie Carter inhabit her part.

RIP.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is she an actual administrator or a figurehead? The last I paid attention, Jeff Jarrett was running the thing.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Weirdest thing... I'm out of town for the weekend and the local cable system constantly played these PSAs with Dixie Carter talking about some obscure disease that I've never heard of, couldn't pronounce for money, and will never hear of again. The basic gist is, thousands of people suffer from something that causes them to live with twisted necks, or something. And Dixie Carter looked in rough shape trying to plea for money for this cause.

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Hal Holbrook was a very lucky man, his plans for Belle Isle notwithstanding.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't wanna know how many streamers you thought she was.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I'm sure I cuffed out a few quarts to that show. And of the four, she was my choice. Though I think Annie Potts would probably let you redesign her interior from any entrance.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Endometrial uterine cancer is the official diagnosis, FYI.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She was also on a season or two of Different Strokes as Conrad Bain's wife until she was replaced by a different actress. She might have quit to do Designing Women, I don't remember the exact timeline.

12. partain

partain Member

I got married in the house that appeared in the show. Not far from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette office.

Enjoyed the show for the first couple of years, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted