1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division IV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, May 30, 2014.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because the NCAA runs it rather well.

2. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Typical collegiate brainwork. Division IV > Division III < Division I.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

It's the SEC, you can't expect them to know higher mathematics

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I truly wonder how many schools in what were formerly known as BCS conferences would drop football if this happened.

I'd be surprised if it was more than a couple and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them dropped it.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

At some point I think the losses on football become overwhelming. I used Cincinnati as an example.

In 2012 Cincinnati had athletic department expenses of 49 million. The school subsidized 16.5 million of that. The demise of the Big East football contract will cost, let's say four million a year, in television money. If athletes start to get paid, let's say 20K a year, and Cincinnati just pays the football and men's basketball players that is another two million.

Interest in Cincinnati sports will decline with the loss of traditional rivals such as Louisville. Interest will further decline if the non Big Five leagues become perceived as "Triple-A". At some point I think the pressure to cut costs will be so great that schools will be forced to downsize.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Cincy just put a lot of money into renovating and expanding Nippert Stadium. They'll make it happen, as will most if not everybody in the AAC.

I highly doubt anyone in the power 5 conferences drops football, at least because of the stipends/full cost of attendance. Conceivably, schools in lower FBS conferences that don't want to pay may drop to FCS or to an FBS conference where few if anyone pays, but that'd be about it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It depends on what compensating the players entails...

It will be nothing new for the SEC, except this time the money would come from the school and not a booster and there wouldn't be a specific assistant coach to talk to about getting a car. :D

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

FPS. Football Professional Subdivision.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Mike Silva and his conference colleagues care about "student-athletes" only to the point that he can manipulate them to further the divide between the haves and the have-nots. This is nothing but a scam.

Draft saved Draft deleted