1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division III signings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, JUCO baseball is a whole different animal.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, but it's a tricky thing, too.

You have the kids who are going the JUCO route to position themselves for the draft.

And you have the kids who are going the JUCO route because no four-year school wanted them.

And you certainly can't make a judgment call about which is which and base coverage that way, so you have to take care of all of them, or take care of none of them.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly, JUCO schools offer athletic scholarships while Division III do not, so sometimes the JUCO is a more desirable option.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hadn't even known that. Interesting.

Which leads me to this thought:

"I've called this press conference today to announce I intend to attend Bofunk Community College in the fall. Although I accepted a full athletic scholarship and will play for the school's baseball team, I decided on Bofunk because of its fine associate degree program in woodworking."

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I think you need to establish a policy - but be willing to make an exception if a high-profile kid goes JUCO. It helps having contacts that are straight shooters you can trust about the guy's talents. (Helps to know the area pro scouts, too.)

JUCOs are also a great option for baseball players who lack the grades to play major college baseball but are strong pro prospects. I know of one kid in this area that never got a whiff from last year from DI schools because his grades sucked and went JUCO so he could be draft eligible the next year.

He ended up going in the 11th round and went pro. But he signed JUCO because of grades and the draft option.

6. jps

jps Active Member

you're right, rick. only level not giving scholarships is division iii. jucos can give ya a full ride, as can d-i, obviously. d-ii can, but very often it's a partial. so many times you get a kid that could go d-iii easily, but if a juco wants to pay for two years while he puts up big numbers and improves his game, maybe a better option because he can then use the juco connections to move on to a four-year d-ii or d-i that will offer up some money.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Considering D-I baseball only has 11.7 scholarships, it's not a bad choice to go to a JUCO in the Sun Belt.

Draft saved Draft deleted