1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division III signings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just say no to DIII signing stories.

At all levels.

All papers.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I agree Cosmo. No stories.

But we've got room for a three or four graf brief.

3. jps

jps Active Member

I dunno ... don't think you should completely say no - if it's an area kid, it's probably worth at least two graphs and a quote. or if you have several, make a little dee three roundup.

4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

A long time ago - early in my career - I had a DIII recruit sign paperwork for his application to the school.

There is no such thing as a letter of intent for DIII recruits - or Ivy League kids - because such schools cannot offer athletic scholarships.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just make sure TO cover the Division III signing if the said prospect is going to Wisconsin-Whitewater to play football.

6. Taylee

Taylee Member

For pictures, we write that the athlete "had a ceremony to announce his decision"

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I just say he posed with so and so. Don't even talk about signing. Just a commitment. Like a promise ring, I guess.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Screw that. Not a lot happens out here.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes.

And Rick, find something more interesting to write about, a feature, a trend story, anything. No one -- no one -- outside of the kid's family is going to care that he's going to Southwest South Dakota Tech to play marbles. Paying your own way to play sports that are a tiny notch above high school is not a compelling story.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I agree that you don't go overboard on D-III, or even D-II signings. A brief if anything.

But don't lose them when they go to school; that's the thing.

One of our most popular features is our player periscopes, where we chase down stats for ALL the local kids playing college football, or college basketball, or college baseball, or college track. Yes, even the javelin thrower out at Point Loma Nazarene in San Diego.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. Worthless when they sign, but valuable notebook -- and even feature -- material later down the road.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We did that at my last shop. Very popular feature.

Draft saved Draft deleted