1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division III signings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do DIII kids actually sign letters of intent, since there's no athletic scholarship involved?

And if not, what do they sign?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Probably a blank sheet of paper.

Our policy is to forbid all signing materials in Division III "signing" photos.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No letters of intent for D3.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We only do stories on DI signings and on kids who sign with the local DII program. For everybody else, we do briefs. So I'm trying to do a rewrite of my reporter's "So-and-so signed a letter of intent with DIII school Friday." I'm thinking "So-and-so announced he will play basketball at DII school next season."

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We'll throw the D-III kids a bone with a standalone photo. But no story unless it's for a local D-III school or it's from one of our flagship schools. (Ditto for D-II, NAIA and juco).

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This scumbag who used to be an NAIA coach had parents pay for him to fly in to sign a "letter of intent".

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/36076579.html?page=5&c=y

7. jps

jps Active Member

From the Division III manual, bylaw 13.10.1:
    just as a side note, I have seen kids sign a 'letter of commitment' with several d-iii schools. obviously completely non-binding, but something that just says that, at this time, said student fully intends to play such-and-such a sport at this school.

8. Same here.

I played D-3 basketball. The only signature that mattered was my father's when he sent in the first tuition check.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I covered a D3 signing a few years ago, and the kid "signed" the school lunch menu for the photo op. Classic.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd run that A1. Local kid thinks D-III mystery meat is not that mysterious

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I've seen kids sign a letter of commitment, as well, though I usually say they "made it official" or "announced" that they intend to play at Southwestern Podunk College.

As an aside, is there a less compelling photo than a college signing photo? We refuse to run 'em. Mug shot only.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No. And both the papers I've worked for insisted on running them. Drove me crazy. Complete waste of space.

Draft saved Draft deleted