1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division III powerhouses and streaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Varsity845, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I believe it was, drum roll...St. John's. Proving they don't own the Auggies just on the football field. Maybe not, since it was their first win over them in wrestling in like 25 years or something.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Purely on the powerhouse end of this, it's pretty doggone impressive that Messiah College swept the men's and women's soccer titles last fall.

3. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

D-3,

Small Town Guy was correct. Was St. John's that nipped the Auggies earlier this year. It had been the first loss to the Johnnies in 23 years and the first loss to a MIAC school in 92 meets. Only other Augsburg dual loss was to Nebraska-Omaha, which was at the time No. 1 in D2.

I think you're right that it will come down to Augsburg and Wartburg for the title.

4. mitc1109

mitc1109 New Member

In Men's Soccer, Messiah College (Pennsylvania) has won 6 of the last 9 National titles for Div III. 2000, '02, '04-06, '08. That's pretty impressive.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The last losing season in football by Central College in Pella, Iowa, occurred in 1960. The Dutch have had just one .500 record (5-5 in 2003) since then, posting 42 winning seasons and 48 non-losing seasons in a row.
    Yes, I'm a proud product of the run, having played (I use the term loosely) on the 1987, '88, '89 and '90 teams.

6. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Being a holder doesn't qualify in my estimation, fossywriter. ;)

On topic: I'll second the mention of Kenyon's swim team and Marietta's baseball team. But when it comes to greatness in Division III sports, the conversation begins and ends with Mount Union football. Always have wondered how they'd do against some crappy, low-level D-I schools. Not saying they could beat them, just always wondered if they could compete.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

^^^Ahem ...
    I was a holder AND a receiver, thank you very much.
    ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted