1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division III powerhouses and streaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Varsity845, Mar 2, 2009.

1. MCheesehead

MCheesehead New Member

As a longtime Wisconsin resident who knows the Wisconsin D-III schools well, has followed several of them, and knows kids currently playing on UW basketball and football teams in LaCrosse, Whitewater, and Stevens Point, I think I have some expertise in this area.

And I say this: Without question, the UW D-III schools have a HUGE and unfair advantage over their competition in D-III by virtue of their (a) typical enrollment size of 7,000 to 11,000; (b) cheap, instate tuition (a fraction of the cost of most D-III schools which are typically private); and (c) tremendous taxpayer funded financial resources. WIAC schools can recruit from a large base of students from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan, and offer much cheaper tuition that the competition, which is more likely to have enrollments of from 1,500 to 3,500 students and sky-high tuition.

Yes, it's great that they have nice facilities (nice enough for several NFL teams to use their campuses for summer camp), and that they have great fan bases. But these are large, public schools that belong in D-II like the other medium-sized state schools around the country.

I love going to WIAC games. The players are outstanding, the coaching is excellent, and the fan base is hard to beat. But I'm not gonna lie--it's no accident WIAC schools keep winning championships--we do it with huge enrollments and cheap tuition.

And it ain't fair to the rest of you.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Thanks.....I thought they were an NCAA team, but the NESCAC wouldn't allow them to compete at the National level.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Whoever mentioned Trinity College ignored its REAL powerhouse dynasty. They have won the college squash national championship every year since like World War II. That's an exaggeration, but not by much.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

St. John's football in Minnesota.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Augsburg and Wartburg can stake a claim in wrestling. Wartburg hasn't lost a conference dual meet or the league tournament since '93, which in itself is astounding. Wartburg and Carthage are traditional powers in baseball, and Central College didn't have a losing season for almost 60 years until about '04.

6. Varsity845

Varsity845 New Member

Trinity's squash streak is the longest college win streak in the nation right now. They also had the women's individual champ.

Thanks again guys for all the help. We ran a bunch of the stuff from here (checked against the record books of course ... "if your brothers say they love you ... well, you know") with our story on our D3 women's hoop team that has won every Skyline Conference title in its 10 years, meaning 10 straight NCAA berths.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Haven't read through the entire thread yet, but I know Ithaca College has the same type of streak as Linfield College in football -- not as long, but I think 35 or more years.

Check the d3 family of sites: d3football.com, d3hoops.com, etc. as these may help you with some records.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

There's usually a debate every year about how MUC should move to Division II.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

They just had a story on them from ESPN.

10. jeffshelman

jeffshelman New Member

Augsburg, my still fairly new employer, was mentioned earlier on here for wrestling. It is true.

Ranked No. 1 going into this weekend's D3 wrestling championships. The Auggies are attempting to win their 11th national title in 19 years.

Earlier this year, had a 70-dual match win streak against Minnesota D2 and D3 teams snapped.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Jeffshelman, who nipped the Auggies??

I can't wait for Friday, when D-III comes to Cedar Rapids for nationals. Augsburg and Wartburg will most likely be the two fighting it out.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Regardless of the qualifications mentioned about WIAC, consider UW-La Crosse with 11 outdoor and 14 indoor track and field national championships since 1988.

Draft saved Draft deleted