1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division I-AA or FCS? Division I-A or FBS?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Aug 19, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think they sent something out way back when it happened ... BUT we do I-A and I-AA.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Jerry Moore still calls it I-A and I-AA, for what it's worth. As far as I'm concerned, if it's good enough for the face of FCS football, then it's good enough for me. Still, I think Shottie has a point. People are going to start pointing it out.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes. See, I don't mind not following the rules if everyone else isn't following the rules. But I don't want to get to the point where I'm being told I'm breaking them. I have no defense there.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It all sounds like BS to me.

5. agateguy

agateguy Member

FBS, FCS.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd go FBS and FCS with parentheticals to make it as easy for the reader as possible.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I honestly did a page topper in the football section that said "FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SUBDIVISION (FORMERLY DIVISION I-AA)".

It nearly ran off the page.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's the other issue, though. Isn't constantly referring to them as I-A and I-AA inaccurate? Doesn't that, then, violate one of our principles as journalists?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's the same issue we all wrestle with in many forms. Doing what's correct against doing what's most useful to the reader. We know those two options are often at odds.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We've been putting, FCS, formerly I-AA. I'm sure we'll drop the formerly I-AA before we get too far into the season.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's what I'd do.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Dennis Dodd. In my section, it's 1-A and 1-AA.

Draft saved Draft deleted