1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Division I-AA or FCS? Division I-A or FBS?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Aug 19, 2007.

1. champ

champ New Member

Anyone seen an article on the NCAA's reasons? If so, please post here. Thanks.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What will Division II be? The Football They Try Just as Hard Subdivision?

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Division II.

There's no subdivision within Division II like there is (was) in Division I.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The NCAA would argue there wouldn't have been need for a change had reporters uniformly and correctly called them by their correct designations before this year. As we've talked about on other threads, I-AA was often called, in print and electronic media:

-- Division II
    -- 2A
    -- Double A
    -- others I can't recall now

Or, a player would transfer from a I-AA school to a I-A school, and someone would write that wanted to play "Division I" football. Uh, he already was.

I could go on and on, but I'd rather go have a Turbo Dog.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

D-III will wind up being the Football Championship Non-Scholarship Subdivision, or FCNS.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, I was trying to make a joke, Professor Pigskin.

7. Nola4520

Nola4520 Member

It doesn't look like the AP has anything in the hard-cover or online stylebook about its accepted usage of I-A/AA, FBS/FCS, etc. in the 2008 editions. Has anyone seen a note from AP come down about how it is referring to the Division I setup this year?

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I heart Dodd's take and join him in spitting in their direction.

I-A and I-AA, or I-AA: We're Insecure About Our Image Subdivision

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I held off on FBS and FCS for a season, but I believe we've now reached a point where enough people are recognizing them. Enough to the point that if one would use Division I-AA, you'd have a good number of people pointing out that's incorrect.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Washington Post had a story about Appalachian this week. Didn't mention FCS at all, just I-AA.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The coach of my local school corrected himself after saying I-AA and actually said "Football Championship Subdivision" the other day. I've just been putting FCS in brackets - but using the whole designation on first reference.

We've changed completely.

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Agree with Dodd. I say go with what readers will recognize. And I guarantee far more readers know Division I and I-AA before they know this LMNOP crap. It might catch on in a couple of seasons, but how many of us have heard people using "FCS" and "FBS" in casual conversations about college football? I know I haven't.

Draft saved Draft deleted