1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by oscaroscaroscar, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not true at all. "Level of Competition" is an important factor.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I have a feeling I know who you're talking about here, and if I'm right, that guy is still at the Post, has been for many years and just did some superb work during the Arizona shootings.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It does, but the stopwatch and the scale do more talking.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I don't follow this line of thought at all. So any staff in the country, any free agent is the X best person for the job, X being staffers plus one? Your idea seems to suggest that every staff starts clean and then picks 12 writers from a huge pool. That's not how it works. Let's say there was a staff of 12 white guys...who knows how they were hired, how long they've been there and what minority candidates came up.

Imagine a laid off major metro columnist, someone famous. Then picture a podunk prep staff of 6. Are they saying that major metro guy is 6th best for that gig? Of course not.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Lonnie is one of the best, most genuine men I've worked with in this business.
    As far as being on a Fanhouse "team," that could mean so many things.
    But, I can tell you it doesn't mean: FTE.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Second this. Shifting the conversation to high school recruiting classes is apples to oranges. Might take years for an opening to come along and then, the pool of possible replacements is what it is at that point in time.

Also there's this: If someone decides to right that "wrong" by earmarking the next X number of hires for diversity, someone needs to have told the folks who filled up the J-school classes and climbed earnestly up the lower rungs of the ladder that their generation is going to get fucked for hiring practices of the past.

To no particular, verifiable or profitable end, either, as arguments stats above. Just because some boss decides it's the thing to do and deems quality to be whatever he says it is. Today.

7. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

What's wrong with just making sure that you consider minority candidates. That's all that's needed. If, time after time when you have an opening, you make sure that the pool of candidates includes people of many different backgrounds (women and men, whites and minorities, young and old), then eventually you'll have a diverse staff. And that diverse staff will, all else being equal, eventualy improve your news coverage.

Most openings at news organizations are still filled from narrow pools: my friend at the university has sent me a good student in the past, so I just call him; I know these three guys from covering games, so I ask them to apply, etc.

8. 93Devil

Burbs, once the 10 best applicants in the pile of 100 or so are found, should you kick one out just so #18 can get in because they are best Hispanic applicant? Then I need to find the best female? The best Asain? The best Muslim? The best Hindu?

Should I be pissed if 80 percent of the staff at Ebony was not white back in the 1980s?

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Comments like this one hurt the sensible efforts to focus on better hiring.

10. 93Devil

Resumes do not come with pictures attached.

If an employer was discounting minority applicants from even being considered for final interviews, that is wrong on every level. But don't interview minority candidates just to say you interviewed candidates.

I know the NFL does this, and the Steelers found a hell of a couch using this process, I guess, or maybe he was one of the finalists without the Rooney Rule?

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Too bad you didn't start with that thought.

I don't remember if Tomlin was interviewed because of the Rooney Rule or if his interviewing just happened to fulfill the rule. I do remember the smaller Pittsburgh paper reporting online that Russ Grimm had been hired.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

And yet they do discount white male candidates from interviews, and quite openly, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted